• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fleet Week NYC (pics, etc)

Yankee Uniform Tango
I've been lurking on this board for a long time, never got around to posting.....Anyway, I managed to snap a few pics on the USS Kearsarge a few days ago during Fleet Week in NYC, and I thought some of you might enjoy these. The sheer size of the Osprey's rotors have to be seen in person to be believed...truly amazing aircraft. Internally it didn't seem that much bigger than the Phrog (with the exception of the ultra-modern cockpit), but definitely felt "cozier." I was really surprised at the amount of exposed wire all about.

In any case, I managed to meet some outstanding Sailors and Marines throughout the day, which made me that much more motivated towards attaining my goal of becoming a Marine Officer. In a random twist of fate, one of the people I met turned out to be none other than phrogpilot73 (!) who was most kind, and very patient with my endless barrage of questions and "wannabe-nes."

Note: The pics were taken with a crappy film camera, which explains their 1980's-like quality. If anyone wants high-res versions though, let me know.

Here's more info on the USS Kearsarge and Fleet Week:

http://www.kearsarge.navy.mil/default.aspx

http://www.cnrma.navy.mil/fleetweek/index.htm

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 149

phrogpilot73

Decent pics, and before anyone busts my balls...

The Phrog is folded because we couldn't find a cheater box until the second day. Surprise among surprises, the flight deck homos wouldn't even let us go up deck edge power to unfold.

Welcome aboard by the way, and you weren't that annoying. The guy that tried to tell me I was wrong when someone asked me what flying in Iraq was like... That guy was annoying.

phrogpilot73

Do they just open the ships up to anyone interested?
Yup. And there were one or two crazies that showed up, but all in all it was good. Saturday there were 13,000 total. That was nothing compared with Monday, when 10,000 people came in one three hour period. I don't know the total for Monday, but it was insane. I was worn out on Monday...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. And there were one or two crazies that showed up, but all in all it was good. Saturday there were 13,000 total. That was nothing compared with Monday, when 10,000 people came in one three hour period. I don't know the total for Monday, but it was insane. I was worn out on Monday...
Yow. I imagine that's enough to drive PAOs and anyone involved with Force Protection to drink . . .

phrogpilot73

Yow. I imagine that's enough to drive anyone involved to drink . . .
Fixed it for you! ;) They had a pretty good force protection set up, involving NYPD, the ship, and a reserve security unit. They only allowed X amount of people through the security checkpoint at a time, and had a huge amount of walk through metal detectors and wands. The line stretched for AT LEAST 4 blocks (that's as far as I could see), but luckily they had a crew/VIP entrance for security. That made it easier to get PSW onboard...

Oh, and for the drinking - it's physically impossible to drink the amount of free alcohol the good citizens of New York give to you. Some have tried...

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Ack, I wish license wasn't this week. The school had us locked up that weekend studying for license tests. Last time I went it was a blast.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Where are pics of the REAL objects of attention at Fleet Week - I mean the blond, brunette, and redheaded ones.

Yankee Uniform Tango
What, no pics of the SAR bird? booooo.....

Unfortunately I only had a crappy disposable, so half my shots didn't come out.

Where are pics of the REAL objects of attention at Fleet Week - I mean the blond, brunette, and redheaded ones.

sailormoonbig.jpg

:eek:

MasterBates

First, he is ripping on an anime freak. Which is acceptable per the Naval Aviators code of conduct.

Second, if YOU are going to rip on someone who has been posting here for a long damn time, and who's "story" is know to some senior members, how about establishing some street cred yourself, noob.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Man, fleet week has GOT to be a great way to meet girls.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of sailors with exactly that in mind.

I'd sure like to do something like that some time. I donna think i'll be getting to many air shows with my desk. Though, I do have TWO LCD monitors, that's gotta score SOME points with the chicks!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Who is ripping on Sailor Moon?? Dont make me have to regulate....:icon_rage