• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Pay

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Quick question that I didn't find the answer for in a search...
Prior to being selected for STA-21, I had 6 years of flying duty. After finishing up the college deal and heading to Pensacola for Primary, does that time pick back up or reset? (I would imagine that it picks back up, but I'm not sure and thought I'd check with one of you guys who have gone through it first hand)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quick question that I didn't find the answer for in a search...
Prior to being selected for STA-21, I had 6 years of flying duty. After finishing up the college deal and heading to Pensacola for Primary, does that time pick back up or reset? (I would imagine that it picks back up, but I'm not sure and thought I'd check with one of you guys who have gone through it first hand)

If you're talking about the big jump in flight pay, it resets. I was in the same boat. I think it's based on the expiration of your initial commitment, or six years - same thing for me.

Brett

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
So basically, I'll be an Officer without any flight time that counts towards the Career Incentive Flight Pay?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically, I'll be an Officer without any flight time that counts towards the Career Incentive Flight Pay?

Correct. You'll just have a thicker logbook with which to impress everyone. ;)

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I don't know if this is the same situation, but I had a year of flight time as a SNA (I was a NAVCAD) when I switched to the Marine Corps (from the navy). It was a giant red-a$$, but I was able to get that year added to my "new" flight years by submitting an AA form to HQMC. It took about two years.

The big sticking point they had was that the Aviation Base Date is a one shot deal. Even if you had broken time like I did, the date never changes. Going by their logic, I could either keep my "new" aviation base date, or go back to my "old" one. In that case I would have missed my gate low and run the risk of not getting any flight pay when on DIFDEN orders. The bonus being that they would have back-payed me for the difference in dates (like $20K).

In the end, cooler heads prevailed and they adjusted my "unadjustable" aviation base date to reflect the year that I had in the navy.

Obviously, my case was somewhat unique. Moreso than yours. But the only way you'll ever get credit for your previous years of flying time is to look it up in the ACTS manual, make your case, and apply. Be patient and persistent and remember that there is a waiver for everything.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if this is the same situation, but I had a year of flight time as a SNA (I was a NAVCAD) when I switched to the Marine Corps (from the navy). It was a giant red-a$$, but I was able to get that year added to my "new" flight years by submitting an AA form to HQMC. It took about two years.

The big sticking point they had was that the Aviation Base Date is a one shot deal. Even if you had broken time like I did, the date never changes. Going by their logic, I could either keep my "new" aviation base date, or go back to my "old" one. In that case I would have missed my gate low and run the risk of not getting any flight pay when on DIFDEN orders. The bonus being that they would have back-payed me for the difference in dates (like $20K).

In the end, cooler heads prevailed and they adjusted my "unadjustable" aviation base date to reflect the year that I had in the navy.

Obviously, my case was somewhat unique. Moreso than yours. But the only way you'll ever get credit for your previous years of flying time is to look it up in the ACTS manual, make your case, and apply. Be patient and persistent and remember that there is a waiver for everything.

Been there, done that. Enlisted time doesn't count and they use something other than ABD.

Brett