• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical

thull

I've searched but couldn't find the simple answer to a simple question..how long are flight physicals good for? I hear two years, but wanted to clarify. I had one done about 6+ months ago as part of my application (edit - application for Air at the time, but now am going ground), and am wondering if that would still be "current" when/if I'm at TBS this fall (if an air slots open up).

Muchos gracias amigos,

Thull

robav8r

None
Contributor
Aviation medicine here at KNUW says you can do your annual flight physical up to 3 months early now (including your birth month). And yes, they're only good for a year.

thull

Thank you. Any reason why the official word from my OSO office is two years?

Is there any difference between the initial Air app physical and "annual" flight physicals once you're active?

conflicting info is fun..:banghead_

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
You are exactly right
The flight physical to get into aviation lasts two years. Once you are in, you need to get a flight physical every year.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Question - Is the annual flight physical identical to the initial one? Or is there any more/less to it.

Thanks!

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'll let some of the younger folks talk to the "initial" flight physical. But the annual is usually a confirmation that you are still "Physically Qualified" to fly. Some things to consider - pay attention to your hearing (or, in my case, hearing loss). In time, you will have some hearing loss and eventually, may have to have your hearing "re-baselined." I've been re-baselined "a few" times. If you are on a waiver (of any kind), they will review and submit to NOMI a waiver request each year. Medical is getting better about computer data bases and tracking your previous medical history (from another base for example). They will also track your blood work (cholesterol, etc), eye sight, etc. As a side note, be careful about what you "confess" to your flight surgeon. There are good ones and absolutely horrible ones that can end your career on a whim (just because you confessed about your sensitivity to allergies for example). You go into medical "Physically qualified" you want to leave medical that way as well.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Candidates should not confuse the requirements for once you are in the community with the requirements to get in the community, ever, ever, ever

efilemyr

SNA
Contributor
I also want to add that there are two separate physical to get into aviation.
The first one you take before you pick up an air contract or get selected for aviation. You get it done at a naval medical facility near you and it lasts two years.

Once you get down to Pensacola, you have to go to NOMI to get another one. Often times NOMI sees something that the first place didn't. This has happened to me and I am dealing with getting a wavier. Once you pass this physical, you get your up-chit and are considered in the community for medical purposes. (i.e. this is when your vision has to be better than 20/40)

thull

Well then, that is most excellent news. Thanks efilemyr (next question - your profile name..:)), skidkid, rob, phrog and Steve. I'm happy my wild guess was actually the case. I'll feel better going in to TBS with at least the flight app stuff taken care of. IF IF IF I make it through OCS (looking forward to it though :eek:)...