• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physicals: Depth Perception

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
When taking the standard 10 level 5 dot test, I find that I have a difficult time right around 4 or 5. But then I can see 1-4, 6-9 without any problems.

Any ideas? I have taken the test a few times over the years, and most of them are extremely apparent. But for whatever reason #4 or #5 is sometimes hard. Suggestions?

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
I had the same problem... it was right around the 4th of 5th set... not sure why. Actually, the guy who was pushing people through MEPS just said, "Ok, you're done" when I missed two and I found out later that he wrote fail. I had to go to a doctor here in town to do the test and send in those results to try and override the first. I guess since it's not a timed test, take your time. This dude was really pushing people through and was really having us go fast so I didn't take the time I probably needed to figure out which circle I needed to say.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
beach said:
if you can't see it, then just say "4." Or "5." 50-50 shot.
Why is that?? 1-3 arent legit for #'s 4&5?

Jameski said:
I had the same problem... it was right around the 4th of 5th set... not sure why. Actually, the guy who was pushing people through MEPS just said, "Ok, you're done" when I missed two and I found out later that he wrote fail. I had to go to a doctor here in town to do the test and send in those results to try and override the first. I guess since it's not a timed test, take your time. This dude was really pushing people through and was really having us go fast so I didn't take the time I probably needed to figure out which circle I needed to say.

Same story basicly, the guy at MEPS was barking at everyone and rushing them. I was so nervous (gee its only my dream since I was 6 on the line here) that I ended up testing way, way worse in my right eye than I ever have before. Thankfully, it was still within limits. I suppose they do that so that they get the highest number of people through in the shortest time, but you would think with something like that they would want you to take your time and do it right.

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
RHPF said:
but you would think with something like that they would want you to take your time and do it right.

You would think... but, I think that would mean that the old, fat, grumpy civilian guy actually cares that you get in or pass each test... the dude we had I think could care less... oh, well! :icon_tong

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I had the same problem, but was able to go back and retest the same day (thank God). I think the test is just jacked up. If I can get a first class flight physical there shouldn't be anything wrong with my depth perception. Scared the crap out a me though.:eek:

D

dawkman

Does anyone know if the depth perception test given at MEPS is the same as the one given on the full flight physical when you get to OCS?

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
It's the exact same one that you'll take at NAMI when you're at OCS. Don't sweat it though, I struggled the first time I took it at MEPS (luckily the lady let me guess a couple more times hehe) and I didn't have a problem with it during my NAMI physical. If you want some extra practice get one of those magic eye 3d books and go through it a few days before hand to help your eyes adjust. Biggest thing is take your time with the test.