• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight school intra service competition?

trkracer

Hi, first i just want to say thanks to everyone on this site for all of the advice i have received in the past.

I have used the search function, but i cant quite seem to find an answer to my question:
So, as i understand it, while attending flight school one is attending with Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard... So, are all of the branches in the same classes together, or are the separated? I ask because when it comes time to choose, which type of aircraft one will fly (fixed wing, rotary, etc.) do they separate out the various branches and there respected class rankings, or is there only a fixed number of slots for the various different flight schools (after primary) that everyone competes for? hope my question makes sense, i would love to hear any information that can be provided! Thanks

2ndGen

Third times a charm
From what I understand, Navy, Marine, and Costies lll train together for API in PCoca. Not sure after that, as for primary or advanced. But I know that you can't take a airframe slot that your service doesn't have open.

Does that answer part of your question?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You select from slots available in your service branch the week you select, if that is what you are asking. There is no fixed number for any particular community/track.....it changes week by week. You bring up a good question though, which I have wondered myself. As a Navy stud, are the grades of USMC/CG studs included in the data pool used for calculating your NSS? Or is that just limited to service specific selectors?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The NSS takes into account everyone, not just Navy types.

In other words, if you (Navy) and your Marine buddy finish the same week and you get a 60 to his 58, it means you got better grades than him somewhere along the line. (In prop advanced there are a lot of ungraded flights the AF has to do that Navy doesn't. They're ungraded so that all the NSS calcs work out fairly (i.e. the AF guy doesn't have 10 more flights to average out his low fam scores).)

Now for track selection, it's all separate. He could get jets with his 58 and you could get helos with your 60 b/c there are no Navy tailhook slots that week.

Zbone8762

Everyone NSS is factored together from my understanding. They've been able to fix the differences between squadrons. The overall scores from some squadrons are lower then others - So to correct for this, the NSS is based off of the previous 200 (or whatever) people before you from your particular squadron. So, you aren't supposed to get penalized for students getting graded higher in other squadrons. So - to answer your question - all students are graded together for an actual NSS composite score.

trkracer

THANKS! I know little to nothing about how flight school works, but from what i am understanding from this tread this NSS score is a compilation of your grades from API and primary and is a comparitive number against those who have finished flights school ahead of you (including all branches). BUT, when you pick the pipline (helos, jet, or C-130's for the Marines) then you are only competing for what is availible at the time agianst fellow Marine students for those slots???

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
THANKS! I know little to nothing about how flight school works, but from what i am understanding from this tread this NSS score is a compilation of your grades from API and primary and is a comparitive number against those who have finished flights school ahead of you (including all branches). BUT, when you pick the pipline (helos, jet, or C-130's for the Marines) then you are only competing for what is availible at the time agianst fellow Marine students for those slots???

Well obviously.....I mean you aren't going to be competing against Navy studs for platforms that we don't even have :)