• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight sim for PC?

YoungWarrior

Good afternoon. I have been doing some research as well as searching these forums for guidance on a relevant flight simulator for PC. I haven't found anything definitive so I thought I would post and see what opinions are available here. I'm pursuing a Marines PLC Air contract and I want to get ahead of the game in any way possible.

Also, any recommendations for a joystick/throttle set?

jmcquate

Contributor
If you want to get a PC sim for fun, go ahead, but it will do nothing to get you into the PLC program. Work out. Get your PFT score up and maintain good grades. There's no flying at Quantico. Just running and cleaning, staying awake in class and running followed by more running then an O-course and then running followed by running then some being yelled at while running.

YoungWarrior

Thank you for the response. I understand what it takes to get into the program. I'm already 90% done with my package, taken then ASTB, etc. I want to fly a sim in order to familiarize myself with flying before I get to primary.

jmcquate

Contributor
Thank you for the response. I understand what it takes to get into the program. I'm already 90% done with my package, taken then ASTB, etc. I want to fly a sim in order to familiarize myself with flying before I get to primary.
You are a world away from Pensacola. Focus on getting into PLC, getting through PLC, graduating. then getting through TBS..............oh and playing with a PC sim will do nothing for you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Proactive is fine, but worry about the closest alligators to your canoe. Dicking around on MS FS or whatever is fun, but don't get the impression it's giving you any kind of leg up. Just be honest that you're having fun playing on the computer.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
If you're looking for something fun to do in your off time then I would look at DCS.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

The A-10C is probably the most realistic combat simulation that I've flown. Basically everything is modeled and it's a ton of fun to take out some anti-air with mavericks and then roll in for a GBU drop. Like those guys said simulations (and even real world flying) have little to no impact on your package, since the Navy/Marines will teach you to fly "their way", they are simply looking for proven, capable individuals that they can teach. So, I just fly for fun, and the A-10 (once you get past the steep learning curve), is one of the best out there.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
As a primary IP, I disagree. If you can find a flight simulator that you can fly course rules and "chair fly" your radio calls you will have a leg up, regardless of the simulated aircraft. Where you breakout in primary is the first few flights. If you can fly the course rules, talk on the radios well, and have good basic air work you will break out. MIF goes up in other stages, so if you can meet CTS early on you are well above the power curve. It's harder to break out after the first 12 flights.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I don't know what they are doing nowadays, but at one time they had a bunch of T-34s set- up with MSFS and I think the results were favorable...And, it compares favorably with sitting in your room chair-flying with a couple bananas...

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
X-Plane 10 is top-notch, and I use it to prepare for the annual ordeal of, "You bet your job" aka CQ...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Playing around with a PC flight sim is fine. Doing it when he's not even in PLC yet is a bit cart-before-the-horse. That was my point.