• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Sim reccomendations

Renegade One

None
What kind of sim are you interested in? Modern civil flight, WWI or WWII combat sim, modern jet combat sim? Not sure there's a single product that covers the spectrum of interests…and all are compromises on flight modeling, weapons effects, visual modeling, terrain, etc.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Anything really, it feels I played every flight simulator, Rise of Flight, IL-2. Anything modern jet combat, BVR all that good stuff.

darrylcn

DCS is probably your best bet. Apparently the Hog in it is very realistic regarding switchology (seems complex to me at least, loads of stuff to press and flick buttons on before you even get a chance to taxi), but don't try doing any A2A work in it. Supposedly there's a faithfully (like the A-10 is) modeled Legacy Hornet coming eventually. There's an F-15C for BVR fun but it's not modeled as completely as the Hog. Finally, MiG-29s and Su-27/33 are also present in game and flyable. You may enjoy the Russian jets in DCS.

Last edited:

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
DCS is amazing. I have the Hog and the Flaming Cliffs package (F-15, Su-27, MiG-29, etc.)

The A-10 is basically fully modeled and it's sick. It's so high fidelity you can even change your lase codes to deconflict with other flights and tweak details on the release profiles of the weapons (burst height for CBUs for example).

Unfortunately there is no high fidelity modern A2A platform yet. All of the Flaming Cliffs aircraft have advanced flight models but next to no systems simulation, and the missile profiles are not very realistic (i.e you have to be basically inside 10nm to get a kill with a -120C).

The F-18 is coming, but if I had to wager there are probably some current applicants on here who will fly a Hornet for real before the DCS one is released.

But fear not, Leatherneck is developing a F-14A/B and it looks awesome: http://www.leatherneck-sim.com/f14/