• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight simulator...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReapersGF

Okay, so I have a random question... there is a flight simulator video game (maybe for the computer) that is supposed to be incredibly accurate. From what I have heard, a lot of pilots have said it really helps when it comes to learning how to fly the real things. Does anyone know what its called or where I could get it? Thanks!! :)

T-man

I've heard that you can log flight time with Microsoft's "Flight Simulator". Should be able to find it at any computer game store or places like Wal-Mart, Target, Fred Meyer, etc.

I was actually looking at it the other day. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A century of Flight only costs about $30. Where the money is spent is buying flight yokes and if you want to go so far, rudder pedals. You can find a flight yoke/rudder pedal combo on www.ebay.com for anywhere from $100-200.

I'm sure there are more simulators out there, but my guess is you won't find one cheaper that MS Flight Sim.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Although I am not a very experienced pilot, having only logged time in a Cessna 172, I can say that Microsoft Flight Simulator PROFESSIONAL 2003 & 2004 are incredibly realistic for that airframe. It is a great tool to use (with a yoke and rudder pedals) prior to flight training. An entire ground school book, and instruction from ground school all the way up to ATP are included w/ the software. Although it isn't the real thing, it will, and has provided me, a considerable advantage prior to civilian flight training.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-man said:
I've heard that you can log flight time with Microsoft's "Flight Simulator".

Ok, I was going to write a smart azz reply to this, but I'll keep it for another time. No you cannot log time on Microsoft Flight Simulator as actual flight time. The FAR's describe what is required for a simulator to be counted as flight time, and those that do usually cost >$1,000,000.00. Most of them have full motion, real cockpits and graphics visible in all windows. For the USN/USMC types, 3710 lists the simulators that the Navy authorizes to be counted as actual flight time. Be careful with that too, some simulators don't always count, it depends on what mode you are in. (I.E. motion on, coupled, etc)

Taildragger

API-bound!
If you are gonna go out and buy a flight simulator, get Flight Simulator 2004. It is about as good as a PC-based flight sim can get. Is it comparable to real flying? No -- however, the instruments are completely realistic, and FlightSim 2004 has just about every navaid and approach in the world loaded on it, so you can file an instrument flight plan, fly on instruments, and actually shoot approaches -- the sim is pretty much right on in that respect. Using FlightSim to dink around and play with precision and non-precision approaches has helped me with my instrument rating. HooverPilot is right though, you cannot log any of it, and when it really comes down to it, there is no substitute for real flying. But go for Flight Simulator 2004, it's a good buy.

Molnija

Lock On - modern air combat!
Update 1.02
The best fighter simulator!
Lock On - Flaming Cliffs, the game release is planned for April.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
carmen623 said:
...there is a flight simulator video game (maybe for the computer) that is supposed to be incredibly accurate...

The sim you are referring to is X-Plane. I don't actually own or have ever even flown X-Plane, but I do know for a fact that it is the only commercially mass-marketed simulator that is actually approved by the FAA as sim software. Microshaft has too many problems with their complex internal flight physics calc, due to continually building off their original 1991 graphics and physics engine.
I myself fly MS Fltsim 2004, but it's just aesthetically pleasing, not really realistic. A inexperienced pilot doesn't notice the difference, they say, but an actual 747 pilot just laughs at the attempts of the MS virtual version of the same airframe.

HooverPilot said:
No you cannot log time on Microsoft Flight Simulator as actual flight time. The FAR's describe what is required for a simulator to be counted as flight time, and those that do usually cost >$1,000,000.00. Most of them have full motion, real cockpits and graphics visible in all windows.

Sure you can "log time." Just go up to the options menu and select "log flight time," lol. HooverPilot's right. Not only that, but even IF you log time on a "simulator, PCATD, or other approved flight training device," I'm about 99.9% sure that it still has to be logged in your official logbook as "SIM", not an aircraft. In other words, you can't just jump in a Cessna simulator and expect to log Cessna time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Ok, I was going to write a smart azz reply to this, but I'll keep it for another time. No you cannot log time on Microsoft Flight Simulator as actual flight time. The FAR's describe what is required for a simulator to be counted as flight time, and those that do usually cost >$1,000,000.00. Most of them have full motion, real cockpits and graphics visible in all windows. For the USN/USMC types, 3710 lists the simulators that the Navy authorizes to be counted as actual flight time. Be careful with that too, some simulators don't always count, it depends on what mode you are in. (I.E. motion on, coupled, etc)

Not entirely true. With the right setup, MSFS can be used to log simulated instrument time. At least, last time I checked.

For all you people who desire realistic aircraft and panels for MSFS, don't use Microsoft's defaults. You must MUST go third party. There are some ridiculously realistic setups out there.

pyrator

MSFS was included with my private pilot package from my flight school. IT IS VERY VERY VERY usefull for instruments as for VFR and basic flight learning its not at all close in my opion. The Gryoscopic rotation in the game is way way off. but like i said great for instruments helps you learn them how to use the gps, vors, etc... plus its fun too

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll add another semi informed opinion: I believe if you have an instrument rating you can log approaches in MS Flight Sim ( and probaby others by now) to meet the requirement for instrument currency, nothing more. It will always be logged as sim, no matter how realistic, if it isn't in a real plane. I fly a level D full motion sim (about as realistic as the airlines get) for airline recurrent and training. It is always logged as sim. I do not believe you can log PC based sim time for the purpose of getting a rating or license. You can, however, get your type rating in a level D sim without ever flying the real plane. Your first flight in the aircraft will be with payiing passengers.

BTW: In our company sim we can load up a CV. I have landed a MD 80 on a CV. Funny story: The instructor, non Navy, kept telling me to "line up". I had pefect line up and the ball centered. He kept saying we would not make it. Sure enough I boltered. She flew away real nice. In the pattern returning I figured out what he wanted. Of course we had no tailhook. The sim would not simulated a trap anyway. He wanted me to take the entire deck run, not the angle. So, I planted her on about the two wire and went into full revese and max braking. I aimed for the bow. We rolled past the island but came to a stop on the deck. Keep in mind the gross weight was set for only about 110,000 lbs and the instructor gave me 40 knots accross the deck. Still, it was a blast from the past.

Sorry for the sea story.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the requirements for logging sim time to have an instructor present?

Status
Not open for further replies.