• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flyin' back in the day when men were men and pukin' before a flight was no big deal

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
By 'broken' ... do you mean 'hung over' ... ??? :icon_zbee:D;)

Ever see a guy at the hold short pop open his canopy, lean over the side and barf, only to close it again and then launch? :D :D

Good ol' days. :eek:

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Ever see a guy at the hold short pop open his canopy, lean over the side and barf, only to close it again and then launch? :D :D

holeeee shit.
I thought that's what breathing pure O2 for a while was for.

Flugelman

Contributor
No, but I was told a story by an AF Major (F4 pilot) when I flew him from Sangley Pt to Clark AFB. On his last sortie up north out of Cam Ranh Bay, he fouled his zoombag at the hold-short. He called his GS guys, they came out and hosed him off, and he flew the mission. He said it happened to more than one guy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

I think I heard of that one -- not 100% certain -- dusty memory banks ...

I know someone who puked on the ramp once underneath the bird just prior to man-up. It happened @ NKX just to spite the Fighter 'Pukes'. The E-men & my B/N were very impressed.
:eek:

Disclaimer: the night before, 'they' told me I WOULD NOT be flying that day ... !!!! Obviously, 'they' lied. Mama didn't raise no fool ... at least not a 'complete' one ... :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I think I heard of that one -- not 100% certain -- dusty memory banks ...

I know someone who puked on the ramp once underneath the bird just prior to man-up. It happened @ NKX just to spite the Fighter 'Pukes'. The E-men & my B/N were very impressed.
:eek:

Disclaimer: the night before, 'they' told me I WOULD NOT be flying that day ... !!!! Obviously, 'they' lied. Mama didn't raise no fool ... at least not a 'complete' one ... :)

Who hasn't had a return to home cross country flight that went something like: bleary eyed, pounding head, dehydrated....flight planning is a blur, engine start and taxi are quease-city, sweating and freezing simultaneously, brakes off heels to the deck rotate climb out, comply with a departure (i think we did...ah fuck it it's VFR, they'll tell us if we're fucked)....at altitude...ahhhhh time to relax with your head inside a handy helmet bag. Somehow, 12 hours always seems like plenty of time the night before.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Who hasn't had a return to home cross country flight that went something like: bleary eyed, pounding head, dehydrated....flight planning is a blur, engine start and taxi are quease-city, sweating and freezing simultaneously, brakes off heels to the deck rotate climb out, comply with a departure (i think we did...ah fuck it it's VFR, they'll tell us if we're fucked)....at altitude...ahhhhh time to relax with your head inside a handy helmet bag. Somehow, 12 hours always seems like plenty of time the night before.

SHHHHHH! Don't say shit dude. This isn't the "good old days". When old farts tell such stories they get a pat on the back. If people in our generation say such things, we get ass-chewing, a trip to DAPA and UCMJ charges.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Quickdraw and I take a TA-4 on a Friday and head to Fallon from NTU for a det. Stop at Great Falls for a day of trout fishing with Griz, an old A-7 bud who is now with the ANG outfit there flying 106's. Fish the Missouri river all day Saturday, eat elk from Griz's freezer Saturday night, drink heavily until the wee hours. Get up Sunday morning to launch for NFL. Practically have to carry QD to the plane. Bunch of Griz's AF/ANG buddies show up to watch us leave as they weren't really sure what an A-4 was. Got QD strapped in the back, jumped back down, shook hands with Griz and the rest, started to climb back up when I felt it coming. Stopped by the tailcone of the right droptank and regurgitated what was rumbling around inside. Climbed up and strapped in while receiving a big thumbs-up from Griz and a BZ for upholding the Navy's reputation.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Quickdraw and I take a TA-4 on a Friday and head to Fallon from NTU for a det. Stop at Great Falls for a day of trout fishing with Griz, an old A-7 bud who is now with the ANG outfit there flying 106's. Fish the Missouri river all day Saturday, eat elk from Griz's freezer Saturday night, drink heavily until the wee hours. Get up Sunday morning to launch for NFL. Practically have to carry QD to the plane. Bunch of Griz's AF/ANG buddies show up to watch us leave as they weren't really sure what an A-4 was. Got QD strapped in the back, jumped back down, shook hands with Griz and the rest, started to climb back up when I felt it coming. Stopped by the tailcone of the right droptank and regurgitated what was rumbling around inside. Climbed up and strapped in while receiving a big thumbs-up from Griz and a BZ for upholding the Navy's reputation.

Wasn't QD's dad a Hellcat ace from WWII?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Too many brain cells lost to remember...........but that sounds like a story I vaguely remember hearing. By the way, QD was VERY COLORFUL, and is probably still talked about at a certain club in Great Falls.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too many brain cells lost to remember...........but that sounds like a story I vaguely remember hearing. By the way, QD was VERY COLORFUL, and is probably still talked about at a certain club in Great Falls.

I went to an event at Air&Space Museum featuring unveiling of the ANA sponsored print that I helped produce and ran into QD who introduced me to his father.

!Bk6e1zg!2k~$(KGrHqEH-DkEs9z-Z5h7BLZfHCo2bw~~_35.JPG

Here's the print that drew them out. Great bargain as his other prints are alot more expensive.

salute_aviation.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I went to an event at Air&Space Museum featuring unveiling of the ANA sponsored print that I helped produce and ran into QD who introduced me to his father.

!Bk6e1zg!2k~$(KGrHqEH-DkEs9z-Z5h7BLZfHCo2bw~~_35.JPG

Here's the print that drew them out. Great bargain as his other prints are alot more expensive.

salute_aviation.jpg

I've read all about Joseph McGraw. He was on the Gambier Bay as it was being sunk as I recall. He got off just in time and went on to shoot down 2 or 3 more planes to become an FM-2 Wildcat ace.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
SHHHHHH! Don't say shit dude. This isn't the "good old days". When old farts tell such stories they get a pat on the back. If people in our generation say such things, we get ass-chewing, a trip to DAPA and UCMJ charges.

Who, me? I'd never do such a thing. I'm so new navy I don't even walk down the beer aisle to get to the milk and eggs.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor

This stuff only happened while we were in "working" ports. It was during my time in the Helo Hole at Cubi where I learned of the time-honored Naval Aviator breakfast: Beer, Barf, and a Cigar. The alternate breakfast if you were flying that day: Coke, Smoke, and a Puke.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, but I was told a story by an AF Major (F4 pilot) when I flew him from Sangley Pt to Clark AFB. On his last sortie up north out of Cam Ranh Bay, he fouled his zoombag at the hold-short. He called his GS guys, they came out and hosed him off, and he flew the mission. He said it happened to more than one guy.

That is seriously old school, if not hard core....