• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Before I graduate college I would like to get my PPL. I went to the local flight school, and they have a very rigid program which costs about 7,000 to do. While a VERY good program, I can't justify that kind of money.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of military flying clubs? I am hoping to get my PPL through a flying club at something less than 7g. I am in the DC area, and have looked for a Ft. Meade flying club or Andrews AFB flying club, but I have been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Are you able to get your PL through these navy clubs? It would seem odd that they would allow students to even fly out of these bases with all these million dollar aircrafts taxing around and stuff. Im probably wrong but any information helps!

FlyingDoc

I think what it is, at least from what I've heard, is that the club rents the aircraft to you. Members of the club will be CFI's, and they will then charge you seperatly for the training.

Example:
Local airport with brand new Cessna 172s @ 110/hr and 45/hr for instructor
Flying club with old Cessna 152 @ 60/hr and 35/hr for instructor

Flying clubs can save a lot of money.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
Are you able to get your PL through these navy clubs? It would seem odd that they would allow students to even fly out of these bases with all these million dollar aircrafts taxing around and stuff. Im probably wrong but any information helps!
When my husband was going through NFO training in Pensacola, he got his PPL on the side (this was before they had IFS). It was much cheaper than going out in town to get it. However, in San Diego, it was cheaper in town than the Navy Flying Club at North Island. So, you have to do your research to get the best prices.
Also, lots of times some of the IP's int he VT's and FRS squadrons will have their instructor ratings and you can use them as instructors for a lot cheaper, especially if you split the time with them. That's what my husband has done a lot!

bulldozer3

pilot
just wait till you do IFS - let the navy pay for $4000 bucks of it in pensacola. I'm doing it now, and you get through it really quick, about 45-50 days. You go from nothing to solo'ing in about 10 hours. You get 25 total hours, with full ground school, so your ready to take the FAA exam. THen all you need is a few more hours and a check ride and your set. Luckly i had 23 hours coming in, so once i finish the IFS flying i just get a check ride and i'll have my PPL.

You do it every day pretty much, not once a week like most civilians do, so you retain the info much better. its also not bad to be receiving a paycheck at the same time.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Vette: This may be a tad late, but: Advice: Stay away from that field on Route 50 on way to Annapolis, Free State. Their runway is like a cow trail! Then the high voltage powerlines that seem to move toward you as you take off.

USNA had a flight club at Lee Field in Edgewater. Nice facility. Think still there but have not been there for about a year.

Patuxent River Navy Flying Club is one of the best. They, at one time perhaps still, had/has a D rated T34 along with several T41's. Details:

NAS Patuxent River, MD 20670-5423
MGR: CLUB (301) 862-1110
FAX: Club DSN 342-5087
E-MAIL: CLUB prnfc@navair.navy.mil
HOME PAGE: http://www.nawcad.navy.mil/flyingclub

Quantico has one but quite a trip from College Park.

The Chair Force closed their Andrews club down about 5 years ago. Was neat following Air Force One in the pattern, or getting caught in a ramp freeze.

Closing was money based, I think, so they put to their $$ into the golf courses (three of them on AAFB) and weekly beer bashes. Flying was low priority, aparently.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Hey, I got involved with the Fort Meade Flying Club. Pretty nice, I'm a good bit into lessons now, ready to solo. We fly T-41s, man they climb nice.

Freeway airport is the one you're thinking of... I took groundschool there.... you really can't tell the difference between their taxiway and runway... what a shabby little airport.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Congrats on the solo. I thought Ft Meade closed years ago. Do you fly out of Tipton?
At one time the talked about going a d-rated T34B. Think they got the T-41's from Andrews when they closed. Nice airplane.

Oh, yes, Freeway. Think you are correct, or perhaps the taxi-way is better that the runway!! I hate the dip midway down the runway. Nice guys run the place, though.

Understand that if you complete your cross country, you do not do IFS.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Vette,
Do you really want to put out all of that money? Whenever you get winged (assuming you will be a pilot) you can take a weekend long transistion course and get your Navy wings converted to their civilian equivalent.

For P-3 guys that means, commercial multi-engine instrument rating (or so I understand).

Oh, and it's free.

I thought about doing my PPL beforehand as well, but the free option just looked better.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I'm SNFO bound... blind as a bat... and not as graceful. Our T-41s have airforce markings on them, the 152's have Army markings.

I'll probably continue until my IFR rating... I love flying so much now. And, the girls dig it... I know that is cheesy, but it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.