• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying E2's or Hornets as an NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdraider04

Proud Pilot's Wife
I have been wondering about the different lifestyles that E2's or Hornet (Jets) have as an NFO. My boyfriend of 3 years is finishing up intermediate by May 20th in Pensacola and when he finds out what direction he will be going in (E2's or Hornets). I am wondering how being married to an NFO on those platforms? I hear E2's are better for family lifestyle and jets you are away more from your SO. Can anyone tell me more about these planes and lifestyle? Thanks! :)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As you know, Hornets FOs will end up in Lemoore at the Rhino rag, E-2Cs FOs will end up in Norfolk.

Some people like both locales. Lemoore is remote, but has access to S.F. and ski areas...plus lots of fresh vegetables and fog :) . Norfolk is a big sprawling city and can be intimidating to some.

Regarding being gone, the work ups for both communities are similar...hornets may be gone a wee bit more during work ups for SFARP and some weps dets. But once the CVW comes together, you all det at the same time until deployment.

Feel free to PM if I can answer any other specific questions or concerns.

Good luck.

r/
G

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
DOD won't let us ask questions regarding "lifestyle" as it pertains to Hornet guys, but I gather that all is well since he's a boy and you're a girl, and...well, you get the idea. :)

For the most part just as much time spent on the road in either platform. Since they're both assigned to an airwing, all dets are made together; and even some dets where the whole airwing (planes and helos) don't go, the E-2's will det w/ the Hornets as their missions go hand-in-hand (not a "lifestyle" thing though).

Let's see...can chance for Virginia Beach in Hornets but get Lemoore out in the middle of nowhere, or have Norfolk/Va Beach or Point Mugu 10 mins north of Malibu. Hmmm...

rdraider04

Proud Pilot's Wife
Thank you! I posted this in the Private Spouse Area and I figured I would post here because you probably know more about being an NFO. Do you all like being NFO's? Does it get better after flight school?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Best part about flight school is you only have to do it once. The RAG squadron is similar to but diff from the VTs. The "abuse" level goes down considerably, as the guys he'll get trained by he'll see again in the fleet (therefore they have a vested interest in seeing him succeed). It's still a training atmosphere, but decidedly more pleasant than VT life.

All in all, life gets better, and you'll both make friends that you'll see again and again regardless of which platform or coast you go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.