• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying UAVs

macattack

So, what's the future as far as who flies these things? I know many pilots shudder at the prospect of having to do a UAV tour (as would I), but from a civvy point of view, flying those seems like a decent gig. I've read rumors on Baseops that the AF might establish a new specialty simply for UAV operators, rather than making pilots/navs do a tour (which is the current solution). What's the Navy's deal with it?

bobbybrock

None
I think that the Air Farce is the only service that uses rated aviators? I know the Army uses enlisted bubbas. Think the same might be true for the Navy and Marines.
Funny side not to this. While in iraq our UAV operators thought that they should get air medals. The 0-6 aviator in charge squashed that real quick.

macattack

I've heard they only take pilots who can use the search function that they are putting on UAV's these days...

You shouldn't have to worry.

Yeah, I know the procedure. Though, stupid software requires that all search entries be over 3 letters, hence "UAV" won't work. I think the above answered my question, thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that the Air Farce is the only service that uses rated aviators? I know the Army uses enlisted bubbas. Think the same might be true for the Navy and Marines.
Funny side not to this. While in iraq our UAV operators thought that they should get air medals. The 0-6 aviator in charge squashed that real quick.

Generally the USAF's UAVs are larger and more complex than what the Army, Navy and Marines fly. That and the Army uses a lot of contractors for UAV support.

WingedRyno

The Air Force is supposed to be establishing a separate AFSC, like you said, to operate UAVs. Operators will no longer go to Pilot Training. They'll go through UAV training. Still, there are rated guys going to fly them. My guess is rated guys will always have the option to go fly UAVs although the main force of guys will be from the new track of homegrown UAV operators.

As far as the future of UAVs, in my opinion, it will include everything other than cargo and possibly tankers getting switched to UAVs. The air to air role could be switched over tomorrow and would improve our capability and costs extraordinarily. Of course the Air Force is run by fighter pilots and they want to fly that F22 and F35 (that we just had to have) so they may be the last to switch over simply due to politics even though they should be the first.

The future will also likely bring more mid air collisions since UAV operators have absolutely no time or concern for the people actually flying in the air. They have typically one sensor, padlocked on a target, and do not scan for air traffic around them. They don't talk on radios in many instances so manned aircraft can't deconflict, they're being mass produced and growing every day, and are often flown by the lowest common denominator who is unable to spell UAV. It's only a matter of time before these skymines start making headlines.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Ender was still giving orders to real people (regardless of the fact that he did not know it)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as the future of UAVs, in my opinion, it will include everything other than cargo and possibly tankers getting switched to UAVs. The air to air role could be switched over tomorrow and would improve our capability and costs extraordinarily. Of course the Air Force is run by fighter pilots and they want to fly that F22 and F35 (that we just had to have) so they may be the last to switch over simply due to politics even though they should be the first.

I, and I think most of the other winged guys on here, would argue the fighters should be the very last to go UAV. Air combat is much too dynamic and intensive for some pogue sitting at a console 15,000 miles away to do effectively.

It could almost be argued that cargo and tanker planes would be a lot easier to switch over, though that would not happen either in the forseeable future.