• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying w/a cold

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I'm taking one of my friends up flying tomorrow morning but recently developed a sinus infection... What should I avoid during the flight? I've heard flying while sick can cause some pressure and sharp pains. Any advice?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm taking one of my friends up flying tomorrow morning but recently developed a sinus infection... What should I avoid during the flight? I've heard flying while sick can cause some pressure and sharp pains. Any advice?

If you're congested, I'd keep the altitude below 200 FT. ;) Usually not a good idea to fly under those conditions.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Concur. Bad idea going up, especially if you have an actual infection. I did that a long time ago and it take several weeks for it get better. Fortuantely I didn't actually blow the sinuses...or so I think.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't be stupid, just don't go up. I've seen a few types over the years push it and most were lucky but why risk your career or being med down for many months? My old Skipper was a Prowler pilot right up to the point where he went flying with a cold/sinus problem. I'm sure he doesn't regret it now but going from a tacair guy to a COD guy because of one instance of flying with a cold, not worth it IMO.

invertedflyer

Advice taken... Its doesn't seem like its a serious infection... but I'd rather stay on the safe side. If I'm not feeling better I'll cancel. I guess thats why the flight docs won't let you go up if you have a cold... should've known. Thanks gents.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
One of the female middies on my cruise got a sinus block on her first flight. She was a trooper about it, but damn it looked like it was painful.

invertedflyer

I don't think what i have is a sinus infection because my sinuses aren't blocked up... probably just the common cold. Regardless, I'm not going to risk my career over something that I can reschedule for a later time.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I am assuming your not talking about the ones for the landing gear...what do you mean?

Not the one for the landing gear. It's a euphamism for Affrin nasal spray. I keep a bottle in my vest in case I get a sinus block.

*** WARNING: THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR DELIBERATELY FLYING WITH A COLD. JUST DON'T DO IT***

I used it once and it helped a lot. Then again, I shoudn't have flown to begin with. It was an FCF with a big dose of "I-have-to-get-this-jet-up-itis". Not my smartest move.

invertedflyer

Not the one for the landing gear. It's a euphamism for Affrin nasal spray. I keep a bottle in my vest in case I get a sinus block.

Yeah I've been using one of those lately... I'm still going to hold off on going up though.

I remember the F-16 demo pilot at this year's Miramar Air Show cancelled his performance due to a cold. Brett you probably remember that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

*** WARNING: THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR DELIBERATELY FLYING WITH A COLD. JUST DON'T DO IT***

I used it once and it helped a lot. Then again, I shoudn't have flown to begin with. It was an FCF with a big dose of "I-have-to-get-this-jet-up-itis". Not my smartest move.

I've brought Affrin along on the rare occasions when I'm sick. Our flight doc gave us a blanket thumbs up to use it inflight.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Afrin (or whatever the generic equivalent is) is scary stuff. Use it more than a few times in a row and you start rebounding from it, requiring you to use it more, which just feeds on itself. That said, I've had it in my pocket a couple times coming back from a sinus infection, "just in case" I wasn't really fully up. Fortunately, haven't had to use it (in the air).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Afrin (or whatever the generic equivalent is) is scary stuff. Use it more than a few times in a row and you start rebounding from it, requiring you to use it more, which just feeds on itself. That said, I've had it in my pocket a couple times coming back from a sinus infection, "just in case" I wasn't really fully up. Fortunately, haven't had to use it (in the air).

I got "hooked" on Dristan spray like that in my VP days. It has a different active ingredient, but the effect was the same. It got to where I couldn't breathe through my nose without the stuff. I haven't had that experience w/ Affrin, but I've only used it a couple times.

Brett