• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For the fighter pilots

Screamtruth

นักมวย
OK, here it is. I have a few questions regarding ACM. If you are in a tight turn with another aircraft to your 6 (which has about the same turning/power capabilities), how do you keep from just going around and around with him on your tail? Is there any type of manuvering that can break that cycle with out killing your airspeed?

I know this is kind of stupid, but I have the game, Lock On, which I might say is pretty accurate in terms of realism, and the above is something I find myself in alot. Usually I'll over G the plane and stall or sometimes spin. Being a private pilot, this is not something the FAA requires for sucessful completion of the private pilot curriculum.

Thanks in advance!
S/F :D

suicidechuck

The Air Force's contribution to you fixed wing bubbas, Col John Boyd was able to break the E/M theory down so that even a grunt can understand it. His Bio was a good read....

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Google: "boom and zoom." This, from what I understand, is the method of choice for most gamers.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
suicidechuck said:
The Air Force's contribution to you fixed wing bubbas, Col John Boyd was able to break the E/M theory down so that even a grunt can understand it. His Bio was a good read....

Yeah, I'm reading that book as we speak. Boyd was a crazy, crazy, brilliant, crazy man.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Screamtruth said:
.... If you are in a tight turn with another aircraft to your 6 (which has about the same turning/power capabilities), how do you keep from just going around and around with him on your tail? ....
Briefly: I'm assuming from your scenario that it is a horizontal turning fight that has deteriorated into a "standoff". Unless there is a great difference in the turn rate of the opposing aircraft to your advantage --- (and then why didn't you already turn inside him and kill him???) --- Go Vertical --- use the vertical. Always go to the vertical to break a turning standoff "draw" --- otherwise you will continue to bleed energy, get slower, and ultimately get outmanuevered and shot by your opponent, one of his wingmen, or a SAM. This assumes you can't or don't want to extend (run) away to separate and then pitch back into the fight. You probably screwed up in the first place by allowing the fight to develop into a horizontal turning engagement.

Altitude can be converted to airspeed, and speed is life in a fight.

dallasadversary1rs.png
dallasadversary13ag.png
20ur.png

Go check out the (closed) Adversary Squadron thread for more general Adversary-related info .... http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10927&highlight=adversary+squadrons

B

Blutonski816

HooverPilot said:
Here is the ultimate answer,

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

HAHAHAHA!!!
nice... :icon_lol:

saltpeter

It would also help greatly if you weren't staring straight ahead as you are on a computer. In reality your head is on a swivel. So press alt key 6, alt keypad 2, alt keypad 1, alt key pad 3. I'm kidding.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
suicidechuck said:

I really enjoyed Col Boyd's bio as well, and I've been really curious about the Aerial Attack Study he wrote. I tried to request it from the Air University via my university library but, not surprisingly, had little luck. Does anyone know of a way I could get a copy of it, or is it under lock and key? Thanks in advance.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
othromas said:
...... I've been really curious about the Aerial Attack Study he wrote. I tried to request it from the Air University via my university library but, not surprisingly, had little luck.....Thanks in advance.
Do you mean the 12 page "Destruction and Creation" or the 14-hour briefing titled "A Discourse on Winning and Losing" ??? Col Boyd didn't write too much down, and that probably explains why not much is known about him nor his contributions outside of the "Brotherhood".

Try this link www.d-n-i.net/second_level/boyd_military.htm for more info and insight into "OODA-loop Boyd" and what follows in his wake. You can also download (it's copyrighted by the Col's estate) the hard-to-find "Little Green Book" (a.k.a. "A Discourse on Winning and Losing") on the link --- which I believe is what you're looking for .... most is downloadable in .pdf format and some is presented in the "original", i.e., as it came off of Col Boyd's typewriter including handwritten notes. I think everyone will find it worthwhile ....

Boyd's ideas weren't easy to grasp --- he was an iconoclast in a military uniform who created discord and disruption in the General ranks during his lifetime. In reality, he contributed more to competitive strategies and the psychologies therein than 100 generals combined. He is appreciated more now that he has passed than he was during his lifetime -- frequently the case with great men who are forward thinkers.

Now if we could only get the Puzzle Palace and the Perfumed Princes that populate it onboard .... "Machines don't fight wars. People do, and they use their minds." - Col John R. Boyd

You're welcome in advance .... :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
Actually its...up up down down left right left right b a SELECT start...ahem...jk

Well that would depend on if you were playing one or 2 player . . . :D

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
A4sForever said:
Do you mean the 12 page "Destruction and Creation" or the 14-hour briefing titled "A Discourse on Winning and Losing" ??? Col Boyd didn't write too much down, and that probably explains why not much is known about him nor his contributions outside of the "Brotherhood".

Thanks for the link; I'll be sure to check this out. Specifically, I was referring to the actual "Aerial Attack Study" Col Boyd wrote when he was an instructor at Nellis AFB (i.e., neither "Destruction or Creation" or "Discourse on Winning and Losing"). The study is referred to consistantly whenever Col Boyd and his prodigious achievements are discussed, and despite that fact, I haven't been able to get access to the study. I did try and request an interlibrary loan from Maxwell AFB's Air University while I was still in college, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go out of phase and use the vertical. Pass very close aboard and make angles at the pass. Take the advantage when it's given.

r/
G ...back to my OODA loop.