• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

for the old RIO's

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
teckie question,
what's that flycatcher telling you?
800px-F-14_Radar_TID.jpg

CAMike

None
Contributor
Although I'm a SWO from 30 yrs ago, some of the symbology looks vaguely familiar. You are looking at two friendly fixed wings with a friendly rotary wing behind them. Fixed wings are going roughly twice as fast as rotary wing contact. The pointy sticks in the symbology give you course and speed depending on the direction and length of their little sticks. The rest...is unfamiliar.

darrylcn

Toward top left of the display is a Home Plate icon isn't it? I'm still trying to figure out what a flycatcher is, but if it's that I think it's Home Plate.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
that's pretty good for a stick, m.v.

well, we're obviously in tws (note scan limits and multiple tracks), search channel 8 with a peak power around 5.0 kw according to flycatcher 107
altitude covwrage at 50% of the selected tid range on the right (8.2k to 59k') ....each dashed line = 20 nmi.
the little x on the distant track means the tgt is extrapolating. i do like the helicopter answer, though. and also correct, the other symbol is homebase which is hooked therefore bright. if its at 146 nmi and its ganna take 30 min to get there we're probably doing about a little over .5 imn or 300 kts gs.
:)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
There's the TWS symbol? Does it cycle where the ECM is? Thought you got the whiskers in PS or PDS, just not PSTT or PDSTT.

Maybe an older pic... maybe my memory fails... Why do I remember any of this crap? It was 3000 hours ago!

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
'ecm' is a continuous monitor acronym (alq-100 or 126). i don't remember about 'c9' and 'ac' i also can't remember if the radar mode (tws) was displayed on the tid. the rio would have had it on the ddd. i think it was displayed somewhere on your HSD.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow...flashback!!! Haven't seen that scope presentation in a long time.

Watch out of the infamous and oh so dangerous "YIG" acro! Been known to cause more than one night carrier abort.

"It's the "Final Countdown..."

Activate the portal....

800px-US_Navy_020926-N-2781V-170_An.jpg

darrylcn

I just realized you replied to me flaps, thanks for that. I don't say much here so it's cool to get answers :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Looks like computer symbology. Real airplanes don't have computers, nor do their radars.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
real airplanes don't have computers, or radars or even motors. cool thing about gliders..no friggin' software (or boldface). don't even need a flight physical..go figger.
5352154212_9793c34e3b.jpg

looping.jpg