• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For you Harrier fans

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
And people wonder why Im the only wannabe Jet guy that doesnt want Hornets....
neat video

yes i am one who wonders why Marines would pass on flying a Hornet, one of the most capable fighter & attack aircraft in the world, where you have access to some of the most sophisticated (and classified) technology available, where you beg to fight other fighter aircraft because you know you can abuse them ... yup, i do wonder why

besides, hovering is for helo's :)

(no hate - in a few years we'll all be justifying the existence of Marine fixed wing aviation by hovering in the F-35B)

Semper Fidelis

Lawman

None
neat video

yes i am one who wonders why Marines would pass on flying a Hornet, one of the most capable fighter & attack aircraft in the world, where you have access to some of the most sophisticated (and classified) technology available, where you beg to fight other fighter aircraft because you know you can abuse them ... yup, i do wonder why

besides, hovering is for helo's :)

(no hate - in a few years we'll all be justifying the existence of Marine fixed wing aviation by hovering in the F-35B)

Semper Fidelis

Because the Harriers one and only purpose is to put Warheads on Foreheads and provide support for the man on the ground. If it had been 20 years ago Id be saying I want A-6's for the same exact reason.

Plus I hear only the top jet guys get the "Scarrier" and I have always had a thing for aircraft known as widow makers (A-5 Vigilante being my all time favorite Jet).

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I'm no paddles, but I would say

HX TMPIM AGAIN TMPIM HIMTIC TMPAR SRODAR NEPAR

how the hell do you grade one of those passes?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because the Harriers one and only purpose is to put Warheads on Foreheads and provide support for the man on the ground. .

I can think of a platform that does it better and longer than "1 x MK 82 and 0+10 play time"

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I can think of a platform that does it better and longer than "1 x MK 82 and 0+10 play time"

Maybe .....
ah1w-163rs.jpg

http://www.aircav.com/cobra/ahgal20/ah1w-163rs.jpg

Lawman

None

Skids is my second choice.

Truth is Ive never really felt all that comfortable in my time (less then 10 hours) riding in Helos, where as fixed wing aircraft Im totally comfortable with either as baggage or operator. I know all about the whole "you'll take what they give you" but we all gotta have that aircraft to think about when your on that long ass hike at OCS/TBS just waiting for your chance to swing with the wing. My official answer whenever somebody with wings on his chest asks me at OCS/TBS is always "Ill take what I can get but Id prefer something that shoots back."

Postal

pilot
I'm no paddles, but I would say

HX TMPIM AGAIN TMPIM HIMTIC TMPAR SRODAR NEPAR

how the hell do you grade one of those passes?

That pass looked like
BAW HIC-AR ROHO (Flat All the Way, High in close to the ramp, rough hover)

The pass is graded from the start or earlier if they are wide abeam which drives a wings level 90. The start is aprox 3000 feet from the intended landing spot. Looking for a 3 degree glide slope down a decel line that puts the AC 1 plane width abeam the port side. The intent is to go to hover stop that will allow the AC to slow down to enable a 45-90 degree cross to the landing spot at 50 feet (FCLP) or 120 feet (Ship since the deck is aprox 70 above the water)
Grades are based on the groove length, 3 degree glide slope, AC speed in the decel, hover, verticle landing.
Comments can be given at the X(Start), IM(In Middle), IC (In Close), AR (At Ramp), +(Cross), S(Over the Spot), VL (verticle Landing), AW (All the Way).
We use the same grades as the hookers.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot

Longer? Yes, if you're pumping rockets into the house next door.
Better? Depends on what you want. And what your neighbors want.
Slower? YES
Cooler? NO
:icon_wink

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
1 x MK 82 and 0+10 play time

Wow, your ignorance is astounding! How about 1+00 (+) TOS AND the ability to self-generate JDAM quality coords thereby allowing the employment of a 1000lbs JDAM through solid wx. 1x1000 pounder not enough? We can give you much more...current operational commitments require me to start becoming more vague though. Dude, we're very, very capable and I'd way more prefer to be "up here" than "down there". Especially taking into account recent history. You (helo) guys are sponges.