• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreigners in US Navy

est_mil

[FONT=&quot]Hi. I was told there are quite a lot Navy pilots/other personnel using this forum, so it should be right place for asking this question -how, if any, many foreigners are serving/have served in the US Navy (or in AF for that matter)? I’m not talking about those who migrated to the States early in their youth and got naturalized. I mean men and women who went to the states after their high school or college with a hope to become a military pilot.
You may probably guess why I’m asking this. Well, long story short, i'm 21-year-old male, an Estonian, currently studying to become a civil pilot. In three years i'll have bachelor's degree and CPL. I know it sounds like just another cliche, but military aviation is the field i've always dreamed of.
Anyway, only way to become a fighter pilot is joining another county's AF(or simlar branch), which is rather complicated due to the nationality conflict (and yes, I am quite aware of the competitiveness).
Theoretically speaking, if i were to get citizenship through naturalization process, I’d be eligible for the OCS, which as far as I understand, would be the only possible way to commission for me.
[/FONT]

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
All officers in the U.S. military must be U.S. citizens. Citizenship is not a requirement to join the enlisted ranks. So, to answer your question, there are quite a few non-citizens serving in the U.S. Navy (and other branches). Approximate numbers? I don't know. Very few if any who "went to the states after their high school or college with a hope to become a military pilot." As you yourself point out, you would need to become a U.S. citizen in order to apply for a commissioning program and enter flight training. If your only reason for wanting to become a U.S. citizen is because you have a desire to be a fighter pilot, it's not going to happen. Anyway, you don't just apply for citizenship and get it the next week. It's usually a multi-year process.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, completing an enlistment would greatly expedite the citizenship process(link). He's only 21, so he has the time to enlist first.

est_mil

Well, i'm nothing that young, age is my main opponent. I'll get my BA at the age of 24 (might get it to 23 perhaps). Enlistment would indeed be the only option, as other naturalization paths are more time-consuming, though I'm still quite unaware how long it could take from getting enlisted to obtaining citizenship. The whole thing resembles more to a lottery whatsoever. It would really help if i found one who has been through that road.

Nana Bibiluri

In order to enlist you must obtain a permanent resident card (green card). When you have a permanent resident card,once you submit your application for citizenship,you'll get interviewed and naturalized in as little as 4 to 6 months (personal experience). I have not heard the Navy sponsoring foreign nationals to become their sailors,unfortunately. I joined as an enlisted and now that I have my citizenship, I'm working on evaluating my foreign education transcripts (I have masters) and starting putting an officer's package together. don't give your hopes up,if you miss an opportunity of being a pilot,Navy has lot of other commissioning programs in aviation field you may be interested. Good luck!

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
All officers in the U.S. military must be U.S. citizens. Citizenship is not a requirement to join the enlisted ranks. So, to answer your question, there are quite a few non-citizens serving in the U.S. Navy (and other branches). Approximate numbers? I don't know. Very few if any who "went to the states after their high school or college with a hope to become a military pilot." As you yourself point out, you would need to become a U.S. citizen in order to apply for a commissioning program and enter flight training. If your only reason for wanting to become a U.S. citizen is because you have a desire to be a fighter pilot, it's not going to happen. Anyway, you don't just apply for citizenship and get it the next week. It's usually a multi-year process.

I'm sure you're correct here, but Dieter Dingler could not have been a US citizen long when his Spad was shot-down over NVN. He was born in Germany, came to the U.S. alone at 18, enlisted in the AF, became a mechanic and enrolled in San Mateo (CA) College after his enlistment ended. After 2 yrs at San Mateo, he became a NAVCAD and was then winged & got his fleet assignment. Remember, he was the 1st aviator to escape his captors successfully and be rescued. His is a great & inspiring story.

GMK

I know this only from Wikepedia, but I liked this:
........................... the Navy sent a team of SEALs into the hospital (in DaNang) to literally steal Dengler. He was brought out of the hospital in a covered gurney and rushed to the airfield, where he was placed aboard a Navy carrier delivery transport and flown to Ranger where a welcoming party had been prepared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler

Other famous foreigner who served:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernt_Balchen

est_mil

In order to enlist you must obtain a permanent resident card (green card). When you have a permanent resident card,once you submit your application for citizenship,you'll get interviewed and naturalized in as little as 4 to 6 months (personal experience). I have not heard the Navy sponsoring foreign nationals to become their sailors,unfortunately. I joined as an enlisted and now that I have my citizenship, I'm working on evaluating my foreign education transcripts (I have masters) and starting putting an officer's package together. don't give your hopes up,if you miss an opportunity of being a pilot,Navy has lot of other commissioning programs in aviation field you may be interested. Good luck!

Nice to hear that! Can you tell whether it usually takes as little as 4-6months from enlistment and applying for citizenship to actually becoming one? Then i would have a long shot to take:)

What about tolerance towards people with such interests? I wouldn't be surprise if born citizens disapproved such endeavor.. and i couldn't judge them for that either.
Also what if i hadn't what it takes to become a navy pilot... i probably wouldn't get a chance to use CPL there would i (as enlisted)?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
And in the article it notes he became an American citizen..........

It doesn't state how he gained his citizenship, only that he gained it sometime, and retained dual citizenship.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't state how he gained his citizenship, only that he gained it sometime, and retained dual citizenship.

An Army guy thinking he is literate, just asking to get into trouble.

Read the article closer, he was a dual-citizen before he gained a commission in the US military. Don't trust Wikipedia (who doesn't though?), here is more info........including the date he became an American citizen! Google, it's a wonderful thing.

The larger point, as it has already been pointed out, is that in order for you to be an officer in the US military you need to be a US citizen.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
An Army guy thinking he is literate, just asking to get into trouble.

Read the article closer, he was a dual-citizen before he gained a commission in the US military. Don't trust Wikipedia (who doesn't though?), here is more info........including the date he became an American citizen! Google, it's a wonderful thing.

The larger point, as it has already been pointed out, is that in order for you to be an officer in the US military you need to be a US citizen.

Oh, I'm quite literate. Sadly, I'm lazy. I didn't want to read the whole article, I only did a quick Ctrl-F on it :) Glad there are others to put forth more effort.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
I came to the US on my 11th grade of HS. I had to learn English during that year in order to get to 12th grade and graduate. I went to college, graduated BSME/AE and due to the lack a money I could not apply for my citizenship. Soon after working in Construction Management, I applied for my citizenship. It took me about seven months from application date to actually being sworn in as a Citizen. Following obtaining my citizenship, I started talking to a Recruiter. I am currently an Officer in the US NAVY and a Student Naval Aviator.