• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former BDCP student now facing npq / admin sep from SNFO during API

GofoUSN

Hi guys,

First, a little about myself. I am new to the forum (and the Navy in general). I am a SNFO down here in Pensacola awaiting API. I was in BDCP for approximately one year before going to OCS.

Now that I am here, I am faced with a likely NPQ, and due to the overmanning there has been so much talk about, a likely administrative separation. Between my time in BDCP, OCS, and here I have accrued roughly 18 months of active duty service time.

After much searching on both this forum and the internet as a whole, I am unable to find answers to many of my questions, and any insight would be much appreciated.

I know Academy/ROTC guys will not build credit towards the new GI Bill until they have completed their service commitment as referenced here:

http://www.gibill2008.org/faq.html

What I cannot find any information on, is how being commissioned through BDCP/OCS impacts my eligibility for GI Benefits should I be admin sep'ed.

Any ideas?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Probably the reason there is no specific language with regard to BDCP is that all of your time is Active Duty unlike USNA/ROTC. If separated, you should be treated as any other former active duty military member and your good years/months will be reflected on a DD-214 and eligible for GI benefits.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Additionally, is there an office on base that is available to answer questions such as these?

The American Legion and VFW might be able to help you out, that is part of their reason for being. There should also be a FL state VA office that could probably help you out too.

GofoUSN

I'm not one to complain about receiving a free year of education if the Navy does decide to separate me, however partial GI Bill benefits would make a world of difference if it comes down to me leaving the service.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Maybe you could go to law school on the Navy's dime???? A military salary is not a bad deal, especially in light of the current economic conditions. EXPLORE all options and do your damnest to avoid getting let go!

GofoUSN

Had another thought: the service obligation of anyone in the BDCP program is stated as 4 years (of course this can be different by designator) as shown here http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjo2/a/bdcp.htm

Would this mean that in order to accrue active duty time in service towards GI Bill benefits I would first have to satisfy this service obligation similar to Academy/ROTC grads? I can see it from both perspectives.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
HH, I know the deal I went to boat school too! Your time at the academy does not count towards TIS or active duty time. Yes, you have today's equivalent of a green ID card but you're still a Midshipman. BDCPers are E-3 (OCSN) or up to E-5 if promoted due to merit.

Lobster

Had another thought: the service obligation of anyone in the BDCP program is stated as 4 years (of course this can be different by designator) as shown here http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjo2/a/bdcp.htm

Would this mean that in order to accrue active duty time in service towards GI Bill benefits I would first have to satisfy this service obligation similar to Academy/ROTC grads? I can see it from both perspectives.

Don't trust everything you read on that site I just read through there and there are a couple mistakes like

"applicants will not be considered if applicant is already within the 24/36 month period"

and

"Extra activities are considered by the OCMs for the professional recommendations, but they do not weigh much in the boarding process for collegiate selections"

Read your contract as far as the time your are required to serve, but be weary of the gouge on that page.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Make a deal with satin and go Nuke SWO/Subs then you'll have all the money you need :icon_smil

exhelodrvr

pilot
Additionally, is there an office on base that is available to answer questions such as these?

Find out where they do the local prior-to-separation training; the people there will be able to answer all your questions. (They used to call it TAPS, I think.)