• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fraternization

Lisa10

For my "leadership and Ethics" class I'm writing a paper on Fraternization and how it adversely affects the men/women working for you. I was wondering if I could get some input on this. In the paper I will also be discussing the impact on rumors. Also, something I've wondered about for a while, what about a pilot bonding with his/her crew, like taking them to dinner or something? Is that fraternization? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Just so you know I may quoting the answers I receive. Thanks for the help!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lisa10 said:
For my "leadership and Ethics" class I'm writing a paper on Fraternization and how it adversely affects the men/women working for you. I was wondering if I could get some input on this. In the paper I will also be discussing the impact on rumors. Also, something I've wondered about for a while, what about a pilot bonding with his/her crew, like taking them to dinner or something? Is that fraternization? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Just so you know I may quoting the answers I receive. Thanks for the help!
Dripping with irony. :D Sorry, I'm incorrigible.

Brett

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
Generally, I would say that an offer that is made to an entire unit is not considered frat. For example, it is generally understood (at least in the circles that I have been floating in) that it would be acceptable for a division officer to invite his/her entire division to a party, since it does not display favoritism. Functions such as this can be used to build cohesion, though it is of course always safer if you attempt to build cohesion through a professionally oriented activity (unit PT etc.) How is frat divisive? Easy. When members of a unit perceive favoritism, it destroys morale and teamwork. When people fail to uphold the standards/rules and regs, it will likely lead to other breaches by other members of the unit. It's the whole "Well if Lt doesn't play by the rules, why should I be expected to?" mentality. An example I can recall involved a female midshipman who was dating (sleeping?) with a senior chief in her chain of command. Lo and behold, she was selected as a company commander, which did not sit well with her classmates, who believed other people were more qualified for the position. Morale was low, and she had forfitted all of her moral authority, making it more difficult to get anybody to comply with her orders/decisions.

Above all, remember that with frat, perception is reality. Even if you aren't technically fratting, if subordinates think you are, it's just as bad.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Dripping with irony. :D Sorry, I'm incorrigible.

Brett

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brett327 again.

Bevo16

pilot
There is nothing wrong with having dinner with your flight crew. I have been at a table with everyone from O-5's down to E-3's. We were stuck in Ashville, what the hell else were we going to do?

The relationship between pilots and enlisted aircrew is much different than the typical officer/enlisted relationship. There is still a line however, that you should not cross. The big thing that you can't do is allow the relationship to detract from good order and discipline. The key is to always stay fair. Don't do something for one guy that you would not do for another.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Bevo said:
The relationship between pilots and enlisted aircrew is much different than the typical officer/enlisted relationship. There is still a line however, that you should not cross. The big thing that you can't do is allow the relationship to detract from good order and discipline. The key is to always stay fair. Don't do something for one guy that you would not do for another.

What about counseling? Say an enlisted guy has a whole bunch of problems and you decide to "take him under your wing," for lack of a better term, and help him with said problems. Say this means making calls to check up on him, and see how he's doing off-duty. Can this be construed as fraternization, or as long as the rest of your enlisted personnel know that this option is open to them, then it's alright?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
I know you mean well, but honestly, that's the worst, textbook-like answer I've ever heard. People think way too much about this subject. Act naturally and be a human being - that will take you far with your troops and your CO.

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
What about counseling? Say an enlisted guy has a whole bunch of problems and you decide to "take him under your wing," for lack of a better term, and help him with said problems. Say this means making calls to check up on him, and see how he's doing off-duty. Can this be construed as fraternization, or as long as the rest of your enlisted personnel know that this option is open to them, then it's alright?

Depends on what kind of problems are present. Aside from the things that need true professional help, what you described is taking care of your sailors.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
AllAmerican75 said:

Sounds great...and almost sounds like great leadership...but you forgot the whole chain of command. Where's the Leading Petty Officer? The Division Chief? The Command Master Chief? You are one player on a TEAM of professionals at all times. The microsecond you cut the TEAM out of personal problem-solving you're headed down a road that has a risk of going south...way south. YOU should be checking on the Division Chief who should be checking on the LPO who should be checking on the troubled Sailor. And you should meet with this Sailor and the TEAM as often as you see fit. Sounds like a hassle...but the Chief's mess and senior Petty Officers will respect you much more for respecting their roles in the leadership chain...and they will include you more in their problem-solving sessions...and that's where the learning occurs. You're gonna spend a lot more time dealing with people than you'll ever spend sitting in a cockpit. It pays to be good at it. (Oh...it's also a big part of what folks are looking for when screening folks for command).

Bevo16

pilot
Everything 2sr said was right on the money.

As a practical example (how my division runs), if someone is having problems in their work center they will get formal counseling. The enlisted leadership in the shop write up the counseling sheet, talk to the individual who is having the problems about what they are doing wrong and what they need to do to fix it. They they will route the sheet up the chain to the div-o. I sign the sheet, and I may or may not talk to the guy. It's not really my place to go calling him on Friday night to make sure he is not getting in trouble. That is the place for peer leadership on the blue shirt side. The big thing that I try to do is make sure that my guys know that I am there to help them. I can't open the books for them and make them study or keep the beer out of their hands on the weekends, but I can give them some advice on study habits and ideas to keep themselves out of trouble on liberty.

AllAmerican75 said:

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
yup, 2sr2worry is right.

I assumpted, again.

My senior enlisted folks...HTCM, BMCS and HMC take care of stuff so well, I rarely hear of the small stuff. By the time things get to my desk, they are usually informative in nature.

I still make the call. Not to interfere with the C of C, but to let the guys know that I do give a rat's ass about their lives.