• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Friends/family at selection?

zlerner

USMC SNFO
I'm in VT-86 and will be selecting on Friday. Do friends/spouses/girlfriends/etc typically come, or is it a squadron-only thing?

NavyLonghorn

ummm.. Shouldnt you ask someone.. you know.. in your squadron?

Instead of.. a bunch of dudes.. you know.. not in your squadron?

zlerner

USMC SNFO
Don't worry, I'm doing that too. There are some guys in my squadron here who read the forums ... figured they'd chime in.

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
Lunchbox would be correct ;)

Friends and family are welcome...usually spouses/significant others will show up, but there wouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't try to bring, say, 10-15 people (which I doubt is the case). Just make sure they understand what they're getting into...there's usually some pretty rough humor at selections. Great stuff...I'll be there (schedule permitting), entertain me :)

Blackout

Some guys brought family and friends to selection.. If its anyone other than your wife/husband or a friend or two, I probably wouldn't recommend it. You are sitting up front 'performing' for the audience, and its hard to entertain 'high maintenance' type of guests.

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
In the old syllabus (which everyone but the two newest classes is still under), somewhere around three months from the start of ground school to selection. It varies per person, and depending on the time of year; for example, summer in Pensacola is notorious for magic thunderstorms that appear out of nowhere, so less flying gets done in general.

In the new syllabus, which I'm assuming you'll be under, it may be more like 4-5 months; no one's really sure yet, since those classes have barely started.

Personally, I checked into the squadron on 26 September and selected on 15 December, but I moved through at a pretty good pace.

zlerner

USMC SNFO
Pretty much the same thing here. I started classes around 1 January and will select on 24 March.

The biggest difference with the new syllabus is that everyone will do flights with the air-to-air radar before selection, vs. just the Strike Fighter guys doing it after they select.