• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gallbladder removal as DQ?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am being told that having my Gallbladder removed DQs me from Pilot. I have never heard this before and the flight surgeon said I was fine. I am so upset right now if this is the case. I deferred to law school for a year under the advise of my OSO that I would be good to go and now I might not even get to follow through with a friggin application.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E6286 said:
I am being told that having my Gallbladder removed DQs me from Pilot. I have never heard this before and the flight surgeon said I was fine. I am so upset right now if this is the case. I deferred to law school for a year under the advise of my OSO that I would be good to go and now I might not even get to follow through with a friggin application.
I personally know a guy flying who had his gall bladder removed while he was in the RAG - still flying. Almost everything is waiverable, so look into it and talk to the appropriate medical personnel.

Brett

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, I contacted NAMI directly. It is waiverable. Just frustrates me bc had I known this in advance I wouldn't have deferred law school for a year and put my life on hold. Now there is a chance they will deny this waiver.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, I got my post operative stuff sent to my OSO who will then forward it to the waiver ppl. They also have me redoing another damn eye exam b/c apparently they didn't do something right the last time. Oh well. If it all works out, this will all be just speed bumps on the road to a dream. I'm not giving up. One way or another I will be a Marine. Even if that means going for a ground contract or enlisting in the reserves.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I seem to say this about once a year, so I'll say it again...

Just because something is in the waiver guide does not mean it applies to applicants. There's basically three levels: applicant (pre-NAMI physical), SNA (post-NAMI), and designated naval aviator. Once you've had that physical, you're an SNA in the eyes of NAMI, regardless of what your designator says. There's a few things that can happen to you as an SNA that would DQ you, but for the most part, you're in the club, medically.

E6286, this may have nothing to do with your specific case, so disregard as appropriate, but thought I'd put it out there. I'm basing this all off some (very long) personal experience, but it's a bit dated, so your milage may vary.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Well, I received an Email from a COL down at NAMI about an hour ago. I had written them an email and he apparently found my file and wrote back. He said the waivers ARE granted for applicants and he has my file and should the paperwork be in order I shouldn't have a problem. Time will tell........

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good news, then. Just be wary of any COL at NAMI. ;) Mostly joking, but again, I speak from experience.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
LoL. Had a bad experience you care to share? Hopefully I will be good to go. I had the surgery 6 years ago and haven't had a single problem since. Fingers crossed.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Good luck to you.....being asymptomatic is the key here....should not be a problem.

ip568

None
Losing your gall bladder will not disqualify you.

It WILL give you incredible, vile, greasy s**ts for the rest of your life every time you eat anything fried, making finding that certain special person a bit more difficult... ("I'm ok, Honey. Just don't come in here for a while...")

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Hahhaha.... I'm getting married Oct. 1, so no worries of finding that certain special someone haha. I already hooked her before she found out lol.

Fingers crossed gallbladder waiver goes through. All the others have been approved.