• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gear Shopping for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I'm trying to put together my gear for OCS and I'm having trouble finding three things online:

boot bands
gatorade mix
waterproof notepad

I'm finding them via google, anyone know a good one-stop place or a reputable dealer for these items?

I've decided against getting skivvies and pt shirts as i can't find them either, I won't have trouble getting extras at the PX, should I?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
If you are going to OCS for the first time you really shouldn't need boot bands off the bat. You will be issued skivvies as well as boot bands when you show up. Don't bother bringing them. They will be easily purchased at the PX if you run out of the ones you are issued.

As for the gatorade mix, you can find that at any grocery store. In my platoon they didn't let us have gatorade until week 5 or 6, so if you would have shown up with it it would have been confiscated. I know that not all platoon staffs would have acted this way, just giving you a heads up.

Without a doubt, the preferred waterproof note taking gear of Candidates and TBS Lts is "rite in the rain" gear. It's great in the field. Here is there website.
http://www.riteintherain.com/

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Taxman2A said:
If you are going to OCS for the first time you really shouldn't need boot bands off the bat. You will be issued skivvies as well as boot bands when you show up. Don't bother bringing them.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. If you can find boot bands (try a surplus store), you will do yourself a favor by buying as many as possible before you go. Pack them in as many different places as you can, so you don't lose all of them. Sure, you'll get a couple of pairs with the initial issue, but these can get lost pretty easily. Other people will lose them too, and it won't hurt you to be the guy that has extra boot bands. Also, the OCS PX tends to run out of them (along with other stuff) before the first libo. If you lose them and you're really in trouble you can cheat by looping your laces around your ankle and blousing your trousers into the laces, but I don't recommend that except as an absolute last resort.

Then again, losing your boot bands really is a major part of the OCS experience, so maybe you shouldn't bring extras.

riley

Bring #86 rubber bands - they can be used in place of boot bands when you are in a crunch. They are also good for keeping gear together - makes it easier to pack for the humps you have.

FlyinHigh

after reading the posts in this thread it shed light on the notebook. is that something we should bring? my OSO never mentioned anything about it, i leave in two weeks should i invest in one?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
FlyinHigh said:
after reading the posts in this thread it shed light on the notebook. is that something we should bring? my OSO never mentioned anything about it, i leave in two weeks should i invest in one?

Through OCS and TBS, your always going to want paper and writing stick. The only requirement is small enough to fit in a cargo pocket, if you don't find the waterproof kind, not a big deal just put it in a zip lock.

I saw the bootbands on marineshop.com, something you want to buy in bulk. Sort of like the pen that you loose every week. Also saw the map markers up there, used those at OCS/TBS/API/Primary/Advanced, another worthwhile investment.

tnavybird

Notebook

I'm not sure about for OCS but if you want a decent waterproof notebook get one called WetNotes. They're made for offshore sailing. I keep one all the time. You can leave it soaking wet and still read and write on it. Good stuff. I believe West Marine makes em but i buy mine online.

NavyOCS

As kind of a side note: The one thing you do not want to do is overpack! Taking the previously mentioned stuff is fine. However do not take a whole lot of civilian gear. Just take enough boxers or underwear to last you the first couple of days. I am telling you that even having 1 less thing in that bag will be worth it when your draggin everyhting you came with across the parade deck.

riley

Bring the tactical rite in the rain pocket or hip pocket book (you can find it on the website at the top of this thread) You don't need more than one and it isn't that big. Take it to the field for SULE I and II - if it is raining those days you don't want to be the one without a way to write things down.

Also another good item to have is a pencil pouch - those plastic zipper pouches that go in a binder and hold pens and pencils. You can get a decent one at Wal Mart for 97 cents.

As far as civvies go - only pack one extra set. I fit one set in a gallon ziploc - if you have troubles, use the 2 gallon size. Put the whole outfit (socks and skivvies included) in the one ziploc.

KBayDog

riley mcconnell said:
Also another good item to have is a pencil pouch - those plastic zipper pouches that go in a binder and hold pens and pencils. You can get a decent one at Wal Mart for 97 cents.

A ghetto (but very effective) version of this is to take a gallon Ziploc bag and wrap it in duct tape - sort of a "second skin" for the bag. The duct tape will help keep the bag from getting torn up in your cargo pocket.

As far as writing gear for the limited SULEs and FEXs, I had a lot of success with a blank, laminated 8.5x11" piece of computer paper and a map pen. Waterproof and erasable...worked well for me.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
This was mentioned in a previous thread, and I know Crowbar said the same thing, but a laundry pen is money.

I assume they still have the same marker that you buy when you check in, if you mark your t-shirt with it, it will wash away with the laundry, you'll save a lot of time if it stays on the first time.

Reactions: E5B

VAmookie

oh hell, lets not get into the laundry marker debate again

my .02 is that whatever you do, do not let the airlines loose your luggage. Happend to a few guys in my platoon last summer. They were sporting dress shoes for a week while the rest of us were in go fasters. That was a sh!tty week for those guys

Status
Not open for further replies.