• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Generic "How are my chances?" Question

C130_girl

C130 girl
I'm new to this thread and could use some assistance. I went to school for aerospace and mechanical engineering, graduated with a 2.9 GPA, and am currently an engineer for an aerospace company. I also am an Air Force Reservist as an engine mechanic, who has deployed to the Middle East. I have 15 private pilot hours so far (will complete this summer). I'm in good shape, but I have bad eyes (so I will need a PRK waiver). I always wanted to be a pilot, and I am more and more leaning towards the Navy because of the PRK waiver. I just started talking to a recruiter. Any advice? Could use any input.

Thanks!

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm new to this thread and could use some assistance. I went to school for aerospace and mechanical engineering, graduated with a 2.9 GPA, and am currently an engineer for an aerospace company. I also am an Air Force Reservist as an engine mechanic, who has deployed to the Middle East. I have 15 private pilot hours so far (will complete this summer). I'm in good shape, but I have bad eyes (so I will need a PRK waiver). I always wanted to be a pilot, and I am more and more leaning towards the Navy because of the PRK waiver. I just started talking to a recruiter. Any advice? Could use any input.

Thanks!

Here is a forum full of the stats of selected Officer Candidates from all walks of life. Give it a look over and ask yourself honestly how you stack up against these guys. You'll get a pretty insightful idea.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1707

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
However..... regardless of what that thread says about how you "stack up," why not give it a shot? The worse they can say is "no." Definitely continue to work w/ your recruiter and peruse the site here and come back w/ questions.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
However..... regardless of what that thread says about how you "stack up," why not give it a shot? The worse they can say is "no." Definitely continue to work w/ your recruiter and peruse the site here and come back w/ questions.

Agree, take a look to see where you can improve your app. But remember, all those posts represent past successful apps. Things change. Educate yourself so you can ask intelligent questions and then go see an officer recruiter. I can say right off that the GPA is a bit low, even for an engineering degree. Still, good test score, and prior service will help make up for that. While I am at it, let me put in a plug for NFO. If the PRK thing doesn't work out give NFO serious consideration. NFO is nothing like the Air Farce NAV you might be familiar with. NFOs are not second class citizens in the Navy and have every career option through command of squadron and ships that pilots do. If your recruiter talks NFO listen, then come back here for more info. Good luck and congrats on seeing the error of your ways.;)