• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Geo Bachelor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I am headed to Moody and will be going unaccompanied. I was a GB in Little Creek as an E-5 and was put up in the barracks while I collected BAH for where my family was. But Moody doesnt have quarters for officers, everyone lives out in town. Does anyone know what my options are? I am currently collecting $1500 BAH for Houston and am on per diem in P-cola, but when I go to Moody the BAH goes down to $800 and the per diem goes away. What can I do to keep from going broke? I can't pay a Houston mortgage on Moody BAH and pay for an apartment on top of that. The AF people have no idea what a GB is. Help!

Schmuck

You can start by changing your cute little quote under your user name. You ain't a diver any more dude. Just let it go!!!!

P.S. How are your feet? I hope they are feeling OK from having to wear those AWFUL issued boots all week. Wuss!

Fred

jg5343 said:
I am headed to Moody and will be going unaccompanied. I was a GB in Little Creek as an E-5 and was put up in the barracks while I collected BAH for where my family was. But Moody doesnt have quarters for officers, everyone lives out in town. Does anyone know what my options are? I am currently collecting $1500 BAH for Houston and am on per diem in P-cola, but when I go to Moody the BAH goes down to $800 and the per diem goes away. What can I do to keep from going broke? I can't pay a Houston mortgage on Moody BAH and pay for an apartment on top of that. The AF people have no idea what a GB is. Help!

Move your family or get someone to share an apt with you.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Agreed. While it's nice to keep stability for the home front, it's called a "permanent change of station" for a reason. Much like Kansas, you're not in Houston anymore.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should still rate the higher BAH (Houston) if you are a Geo Bachelor at Moody. There are counless reasons why people have to (or want to) be a geo bachelor. That's kind of beyond the scope here and really, a personal decision b/t you and your family. Yea, it's PCS orders and typically you take your family with you, but you do have the option not too. This is not to say it won't be difficult for you financially. If money really is a problem though, you need to reevaluate the geo bachelor thing. You know, the whole Pros vs. Cons thing. You would not be the first to be in the situation you are in. Just like any good "bachelor" should do, FIND ROOMATES to share the cost of an apt or house since there are no govt quarters avail there. Good luck.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Steve Wilkins said:
If money really is a problem though, you need to reevaluate the geo bachelor thing. You know, the whole Pros vs. Cons thing. You would not be the first to be in the situation you are in. Just like any good "bachelor" should do, FIND ROOMATES to share the cost of an apt or house since there are no govt quarters avail there. Good luck.
Precisely what I meant (but better stated). Unfortunately, as seems to be the case at Moody, there are no suitable BOQ/VOQ quarters for officers available. That being the case, they really have no choice but to send you out in town. Because it's PCS, you won't rate the per diem check anymore. Best bet its to troll up the navy instruction/reg relating to geo bachelor status to show the local pay office that you still rate the Houston rate due to dependent status. Regardless, you'll only be getting the one allowance now (goodbye cheap BOQ room); so unless you plan on moving your family, you're gonna have to eat the extra expense. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. I'll echo the previous posters: find roommates and cut your expenses there, as the days of two living-expense checks are over.

KimberlyD

Steve Wilkins said:
You should still rate the higher BAH (Houston) if you are a Geo Bachelor at Moody. There are counless reasons why people have to (or want to) be a geo bachelor.

I don't understand that line of thinking. IF this servicemember has a family member enrolled in EFMP & this move is not approved for that family member, then yeah, he keeps Houston BAH but if he's simply not moving his family b/c "we really like our house in Houston & plan to go back some day" or "my wife has a great job in Houston & it just works out better for us", those are deal breakers. The military chooses where you go, they pay you to live where they send you, not where you choose to have your family live.

Fred

In the vast majority of cases BAH is based on the zip code of the members duty station. There are some exceptions of course, medical, home port change, etc.

I know several people who were Geo-Baching in China Lake, CA and had their families stay in San Diego. They were all receiving CL BAH which was several hundred dollars below. Same with people who were stationed in Va Beach and had families in DC.

flynsail

pilot
jg5343,

If your family is in Houston, why did you not go to Corpus Christi for Primary? I can only think of two reasons why the API staff would not accomodate the desires of a married SNA with children.

You might be able to work the system and still receive BAH for Houston, but the BAH instructions are not working in your favor.

As already mentioned, get a roomie to lower the financial burden. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.