• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Geo Bachelor'ing it Up

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So I should finally be finishing the pipeline here in a few weeks and have a question about doing the geo bachelor thing once I PCS out of Milton.

Here's the situation. I'm trying to select 53's, Navy side, so if I get it it'll be either Norfolk or Corpus. The rag is in Norfolk. My wife teaches 2nd grade here so she's probably going to stay the last two-three months and finish the school year before moving.

So, between the time I select and she finishes the school year, how would a fella go about setting up a geo-bach during the few months in Norfolk? And does doing the geo-bach thing just mean I could get a room on the cheap in the Q or anything at all? Appreciate the help fellas.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I'm geo-bach-ing it up in San Diego, and I'll share a few tidbits I wish I knew before I made the choice.
First off, if there's any way to make your orders TAD (instead of PCS), do that. That way, they'll pay BAH for your wife, as well as BAH or per diem for you. If you go PCS, and your wife is authorized to move with you on your orders, you won't get any extra money. I believe you can still make BAH while living in the Q, though.
Second, the gov't won't move your wife. They'll move you. When you head to your duty station, you'll probably have to dity move. Play your cards right, and you can get paid as if you moved all your household goods from Norfolk to Corpus, which is substantially more than the payment you'd receive moving from Milton to Corpus.
Third, as you should already know, sometimes the training periods can take longer than advertised. Ensure that your wife is OK with the possibility of you being in Norfolk for 6 months.