• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into NROTC

sh89

SO you join a NROTC unit at one of the following colleges(https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm) that offers flight training,correct? Also, how well you do in college,in NROTC,and on the ASTB determines if you get a pilot slot, correct?

When should i start contacting/applying for NROTC?

Thanks

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
The thread below explains how you get ranked for selection (pilot, nfo, swo, etc.). Now, this formula is in the process of changing. There is a thread about it somewhere. From what i heard last, last year, they used the old method and had the new method beside it to see how it worked (to see how they would differ in selection). My XO said that they will use the old method for a couple more years (2-3) to see if the new method will make a big difference after some go through flight training.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10620

Here is that thread about the new formula ranking

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11083&highlight=ranking

sh89

I have heard that if you have a non-tech major, you need a 3.5-7 gpa in college to be competitive. Yet, with a tech major you need a 3.0-3.2 to be competitive. Is this true?

What are some tech majors?
Engineering,science, and math?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I was a non-tech major (Sociology) with a 3.2 gpa and I managed to get an SNFO slot. But I also got a 6/7/7 (i think) on the ASTB. I dont think the major really matters a whole lot. Ive met pilots from a variety of platforms and they all majored in some pretty interesting stuff (i.e. Japanese, Urban Studies, Child Development, etc). I forget how much the non-tech/tech major is weighed into the aviation selection process. Im sure someone on the forum can enlighten us :)

snizo

Supply Officer
That is one of the things they are discussing. They want to encourage people to have tech majors. Even if we could give you a definitive answer about how it is weighted now, that doesn't mean it won't change before you select.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been an issue since before I even joined the navy in '92. Tech major or non-tech major....who has the better advantage? The gouge I had back in the day was that you had to go to the Naval Academy AND major in Aero engineering in order to get a pilot slot. ROTC just wasn't going to cut it. The reality is it simply doesn't matter. The majority of SNA/SNFO selectees I've known have not bee tech major, including myself. This of course is all unofficial. What matters is your GPA, ASTB scores, and how badly the Navy needs Pilots and/or NFO's.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe everything boils down to timing and needs of the Navy. I started NROTC in 88', finishing in early 93'. Even then, the Navy wanted us to have tech major's. That had a factor to do with selection.....like the thread mentioned about the old formula. I had a BS in Human Resource Management, around a 3.0 GPA with a 5/9 on the old AQTFAR. There were 50 pilot slots for NROTC at that selection with about 300 applicants.

sh89

bunk22 said:
I believe everything boils down to timing and needs of the Navy. I started NROTC in 88', finishing in early 93'. Even then, the Navy wanted us to have tech major's. That had a factor to do with selection.....like the thread mentioned about the old formula. I had a BS in Human Resource Management, around a 3.0 GPA with a 5/9 on the old AQTFAR. There were 50 pilot slots for NROTC at that selection with about 300 applicants.

Is it possible to apply every year after you graduate from NROTC for a pilot slot? Or is there a waiting list?

snizo

Supply Officer
Once you get your service selection out of ROTC, that is generally it for a few years with few exceptions. Once you spend some time in whatever you get (if you didn't get pilot), you can try to switch over (redesignate / transfer) to be a pilot. It isn't a common occurence, though.

ripvanhinkle

Dont sweat having a tech major. The majority of folks I went to school with and those Imet in flight school were non techs. Major in what you want, the Navy will pick you up if you work hard, show interest and want to be there. I was a Soc major who loved every minute of college and here I am living the Good Navy Life, you have shown you want to be part of our world stick with it and you will go far.

snizo

Supply Officer
Sorry to keep harping on the tech-degree thing. They do encourage it, but FlyNova is right - don't do it just to get a pilot slot.

Do something you enjoy. Two reasons:

1 - You will work harder (and do better) with something you enjoy.

2 - The Navy won't always be there. I know plenty of people who thought they would spend a career in the Navy but wind up leaving (most of them not by choice) in as little as six months after starting active duty. They were lumped in with everyone who had just graduated college by employers and are using their degree as a civilian.

Food for thought...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
sh89 said:
Is it possible to apply every year after you graduate from NROTC for a pilot slot? Or is there a waiting list?

You would have to look at the instructions governing redesignation. A buddy of mine from NROTC finished in 94 with no aviation slots. He spent 2 years as an AMO, applied for aviation and made it. Last time I spoke with him, he was an IP at the Prolwer FRS. Just about anything is possible.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Yeah, tech major nothing. I was a fine arts major and took absolutely no calculus what so ever (college programmer). I made it through. Just major in what you want. They baseline everyone in flight school. They treat it like you have never seen any math before. Will a technical major help? Maybe, but you will be fine without. Trust me, I can barely add and technical diagrams give me headaches. With practice and hard work, flight school is manageable. Good luck.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've known a lot of students that started out in a Tech Major, got the SCHOLARSHIP, then switched over to a Non-Tech degree. Your first goal should be to get the scholarship, then worry about the Aviation slot. I really didn't see a big difference for Aviation selection between Tech v. Non-Tech. BUT, I did see a difference for scholarship for TECH over Non-Tech. Good luck.
ea6bflyr

sh89

Thanks to all who have posted.

I have a couple more questions:
(1) Can i go to a Junior College first, and then March in my Sophomore year apply for a two year scholarship to a University that has NROTC?
Or should i go to an average/good school(like San diego state) that has nrotc right off the bat? I have decent grades(3.66) but i would like to go to a JC first and the apply to the University of California San diego(much better than San diego state). I have found out that UCSD and San Diego state are cross-town affiliates according to this website:https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm.