• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting out...

kdillard21

Not for me...I promise, I am a Helo Pilot anyway. If an F18 NFO wanted to get out of their committment of 6 years for "personal reasons" before time was up, would there be any way to do it? Particularly without being sent to the fleet as a SWO or GENAV? Just wondering if anyone here knew of someone who had, especially since the Navy seems to be doing some major downsizing on both aviation and SWO sides of the house.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably depends a lot on 1) how much time they have before hitting MSR and 2) what the personal reasons are. Is this a "I don't want to be in the navy anymore" or a "I don't want to fly anymore" type of situation. If looking to simply get out, then the officer in question would have to submit a request for Release from Active Duty (RAD request) per the MILPERSMAN. The navy can either approve it or deny it. If this person's yeargroup is overmanned and the navy needs to downsize that group, it is entirely possible BUPERS would approve the request....MSR be damned!

kdillard21

thanks for the info, professional advice giver outer. now would this RAD request have to go through the chain of command? I assume it would, but then the person in question would be "marked" by the squadron and make things worse. I am trying to leave out as many details as possible for privacy conerns, but my main question is does the RAD bypass the COC.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Everything goes through the chain of command for endorsement. Generally speaking, it may be possible after a first sea tour but the Navy would like to get something for its investment.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything that happens outside of the normal detailing process (i.e you're coming up for orders) the command will need to be involved in some form or fashion since it affects their manpower. For the RAD, the CO will have to endorse the request before it is sent off to PERS. If this request is being submitted significantly before MSR, said individual better have some very good reasoning (and/or personal issues). BTW, some personal issues can be dealt with differently, which is why it may be a good idea to talk to the COC. If we're only talking a year or less from MSR, said individual still needs a valid reason, but it doesn't raise the red flad quite as high as the other (i.e. longer than a year out).

Since the RAD request would be before MSR is complete, the CO will have to state in the endorsement that said person's billet may be gapped...basically saying that a relief is not required prior to executing the separation orders. A RAD request is NOT a special request of sorts. It's something we all (officers) have to do when and if we want to leave the navy before retirement, unless you are submitting a resignation which is something altogether different and has different requirements.