• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting scholarships

Immy

I've read through the new scholarship information, and am now beginning to apply to colleges. I either want to major in History, or Professional Pilot if I can get into the U of I.

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge as to how competitive either of those majors would be for 2-4 yr. scholarships. I know the Navy wants 85% Technical majors now :)eek:) and I have considered going into engineering but have realized that it probably wouldn't be my thing.

Thanks a lot in advance!

navy09

None
First of all, if you haven't started the NROTC application yet, you need to start it now- you're already behind.

Considering how new the 85% rule is, only time will tell what kind of numbers you'll need to get a non-tech major scholarship. Common sense dictates that you'll need to be a highly qualified candidate...good GPA, great SAT, leadership, sports, etc.

What are your stats?

Python

pilot
Contributor
I've read through the new scholarship information, and am now beginning to apply to colleges. I either want to major in History, or Professional Pilot if I can get into the U of I.

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge as to how competitive either of those majors would be for 2-4 yr. scholarships. I know the Navy wants 85% Technical majors now :)eek:) and I have considered going into engineering but have realized that it probably wouldn't be my thing.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Illinois has a Prof Flight program but they do not offer a degree in it. At least not when I looked at in 05. You get your certificates and a program completion certificate while getting your B.A/B.S in something else. At Purdue, Prof Flight is considered a technical major by the Navy.

Immy

Is there any way to find out exactly what is and what is not considered a technical major? And thanks for the heads up on the flight program, I checked it out and you are indeed right.

My stats are ok..
3.5 GPA
30 ACT
4 years golf (2 varsity)
Tutoring program member

I'm applying to other schools as well, as safeties, and realize that there's a good chance I won't get a 4 year scholarship. Midn09, did you go in as a college program midshipman? If I have to do that and compete for a scholarship in college, I wouldn't mind, seems more realistic at this point.

navy09

None
I wouldn't count yourself out yet. Your grades are pretty good and you've got a very competitive ACT score. Contact a recruiter now.

Also contact the Recruiting Officer at the actual NROTC unit you want to attend. They'll be able to tell you exactly what is or isn't a technical major under the new system.

Ya, I did a year as a college programmer and picked up a 3-yr scholarship. Honestly, it was a lot easier for me though because I didn't have to worry about this non-tech major BS. The college program definitely has it's risks, as you can end up paying for two years at a private or out of state school and then not end up with a scholarship (they kick you out if you don't have a scholarship after 2 years).

gotta_fly

pilot
You may not need a recruiter, I think I remember doing it all online and eventually they called me to set up interviews. DO NOT major in engineering because you think the Navy wants you to. I did that and I hated it and switched majors to what I really wanted to do before college started. Do something you enjoy and find fulfilling, and will get you a decent job if something goes wrong with your Navy plans.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may not need a recruiter, I think I remember doing it all online and eventually they called me to set up interviews. DO NOT major in engineering because you think the Navy wants you to. I did that and I hated it and switched majors to what I really wanted to do before college started. Do something you enjoy and find fulfilling, and will get you a decent job if something goes wrong with your Navy plans.

Apply on-line.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Is there any way to find out exactly what is and what is not considered a technical major?
And thanks for the heads up on the flight program, I checked it out and you are indeed right.

My stats are ok..
3.5 GPA
30 ACT
4 years golf (2 varsity)
Tutoring program member

I'm applying to other schools as well, as safeties, and realize that there's a good chance I won't get a 4 year scholarship. Midn09, did you go in as a college program midshipman? If I have to do that and compete for a scholarship in college, I wouldn't mind, seems more realistic at this point.

This is from the 1420 for STA-21, but it should get you started.
SECTION 1
LIST OF TECHNICAL /NON-TECHNICAL MAJORS

TECHNICAL MAJORS
SUBJECT

Aeronautical Engineering
Aeronautics
Aerospace Engineering
Agricultural Engineering
Architecture; Architectural Engineering; Landscape Engineering; Architecture; Computer Science Engineering; Engineering and Architecture Topics
Civil Engineering, General
Communications; Radio Engineering; Command Communications; Applied Communications; Communications Engineering
Electrical Engineering, General
Electrical Power Engineering
Engineering, Industrial/Management/Commercial Chemical Engineering
Materials Engineering
Mechanical Engineering, General
Metallurgical Engineering
Mining Engineering
Naval Architecture; Marine Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Ocean Engineering
Ordnance Engineering, General; General and Industrial; Weapons Systems, General; Ordnance System Engineering, General
Petrochemical Engineering
Petroleum Engineering
Safety Engineering; Fire Protection Engineering
Systems Engineering
Textile Engineering; Textile Technology

MATH-SCIENCE TECHNICAL MAJORS
SUBJECT

Biochemistry
Ceramics Engineering
Chemistry (other than Biochemistry)
Mathematics; Computer Science (Math oriented)
Metallurgy
Meteorology; Climatology; Aerology
Operations Research/Systems Analysis; Operations Analysis
Physics; Astronomy
Statistics

NON-TECHNICAL MAJORS
SUBJECT

Accounting
Anthropology
Archeology
Banking; Finance
Biological Sciences, General; Marine Biology
Biology
Business Administration; Advertising; Commerce; Foreign Trade; Marketing; Management; Computer-Related Business Administra¬tion; Computer Science
Business Economics; Commercial Education
Classical Languages; English Literature
Education
Economics
English Language; English Literature
Geography
Geology; Paleontology; Petrology; Geological Engineering
History; American Studies
Industrial Arts
Industrial Design
International Relations; International Law; Foreign Affairs; Foreign Area Studies
Journalism
Law
Liberal Arts
Merchandising; Retailing
Modern Languages and Literature
Nautical Science; Naval Science; Maritime Academy Curricula
Personnel Administration
Philosophy
Political Science
Physical Education
Psychology
Public Administration; Police Administration; Municipal Government
Sciences, General/Natural/Composite/Basic; Environmental Science
Social Sciences (Sociology; Criminology; Pre-Law)
Social Work; Social Welfare Administration

Immy

Thanks for the replies!

I actually began the NROTC online application about a week ago, but didn't fill the whole thing out because I wasn't sure on my major yet. I'm definitely gonna get all my apps in tomorrow and hopefully everything will work out.

I probably won't be doing engineering, I know that I'd probably dislike it and it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.