• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill

ljm9304

I've always been a little confused as to what exactly you can do with this. Can you use it to pay for graduate school after you retire? How much money can you get? Can you use it towards any degree, i.e. MBA

ljm9304

ya i looked around on there for a while but couldnt find a straight answer, alot of: if this happend than blah, and if you retire on this day than you need to do this, and alot of other terms im not farmiliar with

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
ya i looked around on there for a while but couldnt find a straight answer, alot of: if this happend than blah, and if you retire on this day than you need to do this, and alot of other terms im not farmiliar with

Ok...layman terms.

If you were ROTC/Academy - Nothing. You signed it away. You may want to check some paperwork to see what else you actually signed...

Anything else - Something. Don't worry about it until you want to do something good with your life. Like further education/classes (to include aviation qualifications (Commercial, ATP, etc))...Then go to that website and worry about it.

P3 F0

None
Technically speaking, that's only 99% right. I was ROTC, and I have the GI Bill. This is because I was stupid enough to go College Program.

I haven't done anything with my entitlement yet simply because I haven't had the time. And from doing some light poking around many years ago, it did seem like the guidelines on what they would pay for and what they wouldn't pay for were pretty vague. Not sure what they say nowadays. I vaguely remember reading that they would pay up to a commercial ticket, so I always figured that if I couldn't find anything else, then I'd happily blow it on that. But to answer your question, yes, it should help pay for graduate work, up to a certain amount. However, the website only mentions 'college,' which simply means that all you have to do is call their handy 1 888 number to get a straight answer from them.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably one of the least understood benefits of all. There are a plethora of things you can do with the GI Bill. This of course, assumes you paid into it and that you qualify for it. Yes, the GI Bill will pay for flight training but only for ratings and certificates above Private Pilot. You can pay for flight training (60% of approved costs) past Commercial if you wish. And of course, you can use the GI Bill for graduate school. You can use it while you're on active duty or after you get out. It's all up to you how you want to do it.

Every so often, the amount of benefits goes up. When I came in, it was only $14,500 for a $1200 initial investment spread over 12 months. Now, you could potentially be entiled to roughly $42,000 if you take part in the $600 buy-up program.

The following is straight from their website for things you are entitled to use it on.

• attending classes that lead to a college degree like an Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate Degree
  • vocational programs> that lead to a degree or certificate
  • independent study such as online or internet training
  • correspondence training (55% of approved costs)
  • on-the job (OJT) or apprenticeship training - reimbursed at:
    85% of the fulltime GI Bill rate for the first six months of training
    65% for the second six months
    45% for the remainder of the training
    you also receive a salary from your employer​
  • flight training - up to 60% of approved charges (must have private pilot license and valid medical certificate)
  • licensing & certification, up to $2000.00 per exam - pass or fail
  • entrepeneurship classes offered through the Small Business Development Center or the National Veterans Business Development Center
  • high cost or high tech courses - up to 60% of the charges may be reimbursed

Hope this helps

Jedj

I was an OCS guy and bought in for the initial 1200 roughly six years and change ago. How do I go about throwing in for the additional 600? I take it this is a PSD thing? (thats always fun) Thanks for the help and I apologize for the ignorance.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There should be an educational programs liason connected to your PSD office. I went to PSD and asked around until they got me to the right person. All you do is allocate how you want the $600 deducted from your pay and then sign a form. Painless and worth it.