• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ginkoa Biloba or Ginseng to improve Color Vision and Depth Perception?

J-Do

Good day,

Does anyone recommend Ginseng tea or Ginkoa Biloba to improve chances on color vision tests and depth perception tests for the flight physical? Is this illegal?

Thanks

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm no doc (god help you all if I were), but I seem to recall that ginko biloba is a mild stimulant and has some un-verified chemical properties. Consequently, it was frowned upon--if not outright banned--by the docs. I do remember being told by a doc not to take it though. Someone (feddoc I think) posted a good NAMI link that outlined banned substances a while ago, so I suggest you do a quick search for that thread.

And I've never heard of ginko biloba being used to enhance color vision or depth perception before. The girlfriend (admittedly NOT a flight doc, but a pharmacist) says it's mainly used as a memory-enhancing substance, but that there's no direct evidence, FDA or otherwise, that suggests the stuff actually works, though. I forgot to ask about ginseng.

Look for that thread and the corresponding link, though.

katiegirl

SNA wife
I'd be really careful about what you're taking...the FDA does not regulate vitamins, minerals, or herbal supplements, so manufacturers are not require to list all ingredients. There was a study a few years ago that found prescription medication and random chemicals in some of those pills and drinks...everything from caffeine to vicodin to viagara, blood thinners, and amphetamines. Taking supplements can really be dangerous, even when they're chemical free, they also interact with any other medications you may be taking or that would be administered in case of an emergency.

I worked in NCAA athletics and 90% of the positive drug tests we had were kids who were taking vitamins or supplements. If you choose to take something, just be very careful to research the brand and be sure to list it on any medical forms you have to fill out. Medically I'd advise anyone who is subject to random drug tests to stay away from all that stuff, the risk of testing positive is just too high. If you want to improve your vision spend less time infront of the TV or computer and more time outside.

For more information and guidance from the FDA on supplements:
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/202_supp.html

It's from 2002, but the general principles still apply and the links from the page are still good

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Prohibited by those in aviation. Perhaps it is a bit easier to list what IS allowed:

Class A stuff: requires documentation on physical....
Sports drinks without creatine, ephedra or herbal supplements.

Protein supplements

Vitamins and minerals

Tonic water...although it may interfere with positional ques.

Class B stuff: Not prohibited, but gotta tell the Flight Surgeon and gotta be documented in your medical record.

Glucosamine in any form

Saw Palmetto

Class C stuff: just about everything else. Use is prohibited.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/Dietary Supplements Policy.pdf

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
tonic water is bad? This is the first I am hearing this, vertigo seceptability?
Better lay off the Vodka tonics then.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
tonic water is bad? This is the first I am hearing this, vertigo seceptability?
Better lay off the Vodka tonics then.

I guess the "quinine" is what can jack you up over time. The same place I read this also did a survey and found tonic based drinks were most popular among pilots. Who doesn't love a vodka tonic highball with a few limes?

(I read this about 6 years ago, no idea where)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I guess the "quinine" is what can jack you up over time. The same place I read this also did a survey and found tonic based drinks were most popular among pilots. Who doesn't love a vodka tonic highball with a few limes?

This is shocking news! Who knew my smart gin & tonic was so potent!:D

Brett

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm no doc but I'm pretty sure there isn't anything you can do to improve color vision. Do a search on the net and you will probably find all you need to know.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:

Seriously, vodka tonic is some good sh!t. That's the drink of choice when I go out.

What do you mean "jack you up over time"?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My favorite story from my history major was a British expedition down the Nile with soldiers and missionaries (the whole love Jesus or die kinda stuff) the missionaries lectured the British Offciers on the evils of drinking (they were drinking a lot of Gin and tonic). Well all the missionaries all died of malaria while the quinine in the drunks system gave them immunity

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a flight doc brief us a while back and he mentioned quinine poisoning. He said that, while its effects are temporary, they can be felt for a while after the intake occurs. He didn't say we couldn't drink any tonic drinks (not that that would matter), but to be aware that you are a lot more susceptible to vertigo after ingesting it.

petescheu

Vitamin A and Lutein are good. Take those all the time, although Lutein will cost you a pretty penny. 20/20 so far every upchit...