• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to The Citadel to be a pilot

Knob

First off, I have been trying to find a site with real, quality information on becoming a pilot. and this looks like the place. but anyways, this coming year i am gonna be a freshman at The Citadel. i know im going to get my butt kicked and the whole nine yards. i have heard all the stories but its still gonna be good times and well worth it. i want to be pilot. i would love to fly a fighter jet but im realistic and realize that theres a good chance that i will get a helo which im fine with. i just want to fly. without trying to sound like im bragging, i beleive i have a good start. i graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA and with honors. i am highly motivated and have enormous willpower. im not the most athletic but i have never quit. always been involved with sports, wrestled, center on the varsity football team, ran distance track. now im going to The Citadel which is a really good base for a military career. but i have a few questions

1. I am 5'9, so that makes me tall/short enough for any Navy/Marine aircraft?

2. I have an allergic reaction to any kind of penicillan medication, will this disqualify me?

3. Which would I have a better chance of getting my wings in, Navy or Marines?

3. I have heard that the Navy is severly backlogged with pilots, is this true?

4. What exactly does the Marine Aviation Guarantee mean? How do i get it?

5. My father, who is a purple heart verteran of the Vietnam War as a USMC, does not want me to be a Marine pilot for the sole purpose that if i do wash out of pilot school, I will be sent to Iraq in the infantry. Would the Aviation Guarantee keep me from doing this?

6. If i cant receive a Marine guarantee, can I still go into the Navy? the only way i want to be a marine is as a pilot.

7. Does the Navy look down on those who wash out of pilot school and will I still be an Ensign as a SWO?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First, worry about getting through knob year and getting good grades. It is really easy to get too into the military stuff like shining your shoes and brass and let the academics fall by the wayside. The one thing that makes or breaks guys in the beginning for the NROTC unit is grades. Good grades gets you noticed while bad grades will not.

When I was there the unit was really good about getting all the info you wanted about what you could do in the Marines and Navy. Talk to instructors from both services to get an idea of which one is better suited for you. The instructors are there for that specific reason, they are there to help.

I can't emphasize enough about getting good grades to start out with, a bad first semester is really hard to get over. Just curious, what is your major?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Knob said:

Average height of men: 5'10". You'll be good to go...any weird measurements you'll find out what you "can't" fly later.

2. I have an allergic reaction to any kind of penicillan medication, will this disqualify me?

From taking penicillan (hehe...you said penice)

First piece of advice: Don't live your life for someone else...do what you think you'll enjoy doing. The answer to the above question today may be very different in 4 years. And BTW, a career military serves a little under a 1/3 of his/her life...make sure you enjoy it. If you do one and want to do another, there's always possibilities. Both serve this nation proudly. You'd be lucky to be part of either (not because of your "chance", but because of your choice)

Never. Sometimes. Always. Go to above answer...did you ask 2 #3 questions?

There are officers who make a living getting you to join this program. Seek them out...search the threads...do some research.

5. My father, who is a purple heart verteran of the Vietnam War as a USMC, does not want me to be a Marine pilot for the sole purpose that if i do wash out of pilot school, I will be sent to Iraq in the infantry. Would the Aviation Guarantee keep me from doing this?

Again, your life or your dads? Nothing against your dad and I'm proud to be part of his tradition and would gladly serve along side him, but do what YOU want to do. They are sending Navy LTs over to Iraq to fill army billets...you join for the service...not for the locale.

6. If i cant receive a Marine guarantee, can I still go into the Navy? the only way i want to be a marine is as a pilot.

Your life is yours. They can't tell you no until you ask. Insert another cliche here. Until you sign on the dotted line...you can do what you want. Once you sign, the military temporarily owns you. Join for the service and you won't go wrong. Join only to fly, or only to be a marine, etc...and you're looking for trouble.

7. Does the Navy look down on those who wash out of pilot school and will I still be an Ensign as a SWO?

No, not if you wash out. If you DOR (quit for some other reason than grades/abilities) then you need to find someone to help you out (because the Navy doesn't want you quitting something else if they find a job for you).

Hope this helps. Good luck welcome to college...err...well, your institution with a fine tradition.

~D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Congrats on getting into The Citadel. There are loads of people on this board, both Alumni and current cadets, who can help you.

But, just don't think that that Silver Shako is going to be staying in Charleston for any extended period of time.;)

Birdman

Knob said:
First off, I have been trying to find a site with real, quality information on becoming a pilot. and this looks like the place. but anyways, this coming year i am gonna be a freshman at The Citadel. i know im going to get my butt kicked and the whole nine yards. i have heard all the stories but its still gonna be good times and well worth it. i want to be pilot. i would love to fly a fighter jet but im realistic and realize that theres a good chance that i will get a helo which im fine with. i just want to fly. without trying to sound like im bragging, i beleive i have a good start. i graduated high school with a 3.5 GPA and with honors. i am highly motivated and have enormous willpower. im not the most athletic but i have never quit. always been involved with sports, wrestled, center on the varsity football team, ran distance track. now im going to The Citadel which is a really good base for a military career. but i have a few questions

Hey congats on the acceptance to the citadel. I was accepted last year, but I didn't get enough financial aid, so I just did ROTC in my local area instead. I was suprised to be accepted(I had a 2.8 gpa) but the low GPA probably was the reason why I didn't get a whole lot of financial aid. Do your best and good luck

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Congratulations on your acceptance. I agree about getting good grades. Take a look at both programs and make an informed decision. You may change your mind several times in the next year or so about a lot of things, including service. I wavered a bit, went into the navy, and then joined the Marines. Flight school is the same, regardless. Just make sure you have the nessecary information. Be a Marine if you want to be a Marine. Same with the navy. Go to the service that best fits what you (not your Dad, or anyone else) want to do with your life and makes you happy. Then worry about what job you'll do. With good grades, no behavior problems, sound physical aptitude, and demonstrated leadership skills, you will find that getting a pilot slot in either service is about as likely as the other most years. Right now, get good grades, stay out of trouble, and keep your eyes and ears open more than your mouth. Good luck as a rat, and try to keep your sense of humor alive. You'll need it.

ELCID05

Knob,

Be sure to heed Flash's advice. You are going to have to take it a day at a time during knob year and just doing that will be overwhelming. The unit at El Cid is great but if you want to be taken seriously you better bring some grades to the table with you. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and Ill try to help. Congratulations and good luck.

Navyfan06

pilot
just graduated and commissioned, if you want some current info PM me. Also All american - dont you have some rat bible info to be studying? I think that shako will be in chuck town for a while :D

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Navyfan06 said:
just graduated and commissioned, if you want some current info PM me. Also All american - dont you have some rat bible info to be studying? I think that shako will be in chuck town for a while :D

Not if I have anythign to say about it won't.:D My Brother Rats and I are already making plans to liberate said Shako from your custody. Expect one heckuva game.:)