• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good time to contact OSO

Pelican

I was just wondering when would be a good time to contact my local OSO? I've been researching and looking into becoming a Marine Officer for a while now. I am now going to start my freshman year in college (late Aug.) and was thinking that OSO's right now would probably be busy with current matters of sending officer candidates to Quantico. Is there a good time to make the first call? or whenever? Also is there a deadline that I hopefully have not missed.

Thank you everyone.

bubba716

You shouldn't have missed any deadlines yet. But I would talk to you OSO as soon as possible. At least let him or her know that you are interested in becoming a Marine Corps Officer.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I concur... As you may have seen from other posts, getting accepted to OCS isn't an overnight process for most people. It took me well over a year to get into the program due to medical waivers. Coming to your OSO in January and hoping to go to OCS that summer may be setting yourself up for failure. Call your OSO July 5th.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
it is never too early to contact an OSO. if he can't fit you one year, i'm sure he would be happy to take you the next year (as long as you qualify) Thats what happened to me, i went in March of my freshman year, and he said "come back in august, and we will start getting you set up for next summer" So i did, and now i'm going this summer, you win some, and you lose some, the earlier the better.

Malice 1

pilot
I started trying to contact an OSO when I was like 13 years old. They would never give me the time of day until I was actually taking classes at a 4 year university. I finally got an OSO's attention when I emailed him during the 1st week of my freshman year.

I would wait and contact him after you sit through your first real college class in August. Just my $.02

MNU-OCS

yeah u definetey need to call him ASAP. i am starting my freshman year this fall, im 19 years old. I have already been to MEPS and have my rough application done. We just have to submit it to BUMED. Plus the earlier the better the chances are for selection.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
Most OSO's will talk to you if you are registered at a 4 year college (so before you actually take a class) just as long as you have classes registered, they will start talking to you for sure.

mrh001

Once you've started the Application Process, how soon do you take your PFT, and normally, how soon after that do you find out if you've been accepted?

Also, I'm a little confused as to what the Marine Corps is looking for in its Officer Candidates. I understand they adhere to the "whole person" concept, but is it mostly based on physical fitness, or leadership experience, or something else?

Thanks,
mrh

T-man

mrh001 said:
Once you've started the Application Process, how soon do you take your PFT, and normally, how soon after that do you find out if you've been accepted?

Also, I'm a little confused as to what the Marine Corps is looking for in its Officer Candidates. I understand they adhere to the "whole person" concept, but is it mostly based on physical fitness, or leadership experience, or something else?

Thanks,
mrh

My info comes from applying for OCC, so bear in mind that it may not be exactly the same for PLC.

you can take the PFT whenever you feel you're ready. However, your application will not be submitted without at least a passing (first class) PFT.

OCC boards meet 3 times a year (once for each OCC class). This is a MCD wide board, if not a national board. These board dates occur 2-3 months prior to report date and are not flexible as multiple Officers must come together from different parts of the country to meet in one location and review the applicants. For this reason, OCC has fairly strict application deadlines, often a month before the board meet so that they can do the necessary background/security clearance checks. The board meets for 3-5 days and you will be notified at the end of this review board whether or not you have been accepted.

However, PLC is determined a bit differently. Those who have first hand knowlege correct me if I'm wrong, but the way my OSO described PLC selection is that these applicants are not reviewed on an MCD wide basis, but rather a regional basis. So, the regional CO reviews and makes the decisions on PLC applicants so application deadlines can be a bit more flexible. The regional CO will review your application in a timely manner and make a decision based on his and your OSO's assessment. I do believe there are hard application deadlines simply to get all the requisite paperwork and sh*t done before you ship to PLC.

Don't think of OCS as a school so much as a 10 week interview. Leadership can be tought, so having prior civilian leadership skills probably won't be a factor. Other than that, they look at the whole person from physical fitness to integrity to personality, self determination, etc. In your application, your OSO will write a recommendation based on his knowledge and observations of you during your application process.

Hope this helps, and anyone who has first hand/insider info that can add or discount what I've given, feel free. I am just a lowly wannabe who claims to know nothing at this point ;)

T-man