• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lookin' through my hard drive tonight and I found this video I got at my last command. Hornet/Tomcat flyby It's not your average fly-by. They were grounded for a few days afterwards, but because the Hornet pilot was a former Blue Angel and they properly briefed it, nothing big became of it. Enjoy...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was not there when this went down, but it was the 2000 cruise on the GW w/CVW-17. I checked in just after they got back & the bubbas in the squadron are the ones that told me about it. I did the 2002 cruise on the GW with the Hornet pilot so I know for a fact that he was still flying and advancing in his career. I never knew the Tomcat guy though, so I can't say what happened with him.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tomcat guy did nothing wrong as he was upright...BUT, the Hornet guy may have exceeded the inverted flight time limitation without having a modifications made to his engine such as the Blues' jets have. As a former Blue he has no problem actually performing inverted flight manuevers with practice and also being approved by the CAG sort of gave him carte blanche to do it.

Per F/A-18 NATOPS:

"Negative G baffles in the feed tanks provide limited fuel supply during negative G or inverted flight. No sustained zero G capability is provided"

also

"Prohibited Manuevers: 9) Negative G for more than 5 second for aircraft 161353 thru 161924 before AFC 053 (10 seconds for other aircraft).

r/
G
aka NATOPS master

Status
Not open for further replies.