• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Google Earth Rocks Satellite Imagery World

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This sounds like more fear-mongering. Satellite imagery has been on the internet LONG before Google Earth came out and you can get MUCH better resolution pictures from commercial satellite companies if you pay a fee. This is not new technology. It also doesn't help that some people believe that Google Earth is real-time imagery.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170733,00.html

But some are questioning whether Google Earth also provides terrorists with readily accessible data that they can use to attack the United States or other countries, particularly when users can zoom in from space level to street level.

Lawman

None
If the media can use it to create panic and fear and therby drive up thier ratings it will be on the 6 o'clock news. Remember the crap about plastic wrap and duct tape making your house antrax proof.... guess who kept showing it over and over and over again, it wasnt This Old House.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Lawman said:
If the media can use it to create panic and fear and therby drive up thier ratings it will be on the 6 o'clock news. Remember the crap about plastic wrap and duct tape making your house antrax proof.... guess who kept showing it over and over and over again, it wasnt This Old House.
Tom Ridge?

Lawman

None
squorch2 said:
Tom Ridge?

Hey, he said it. They were just the messanger. And Im tired of them hiding behind that garb of bullsh!t. The press has to learn to accept the responcibility of thier broadcasts. Just as I cant shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre they shouldn't be on the air doing exactly the same thing. Keeping people informed is intirely differnt from getting rich off the advertising money you make keeping them glued to the TV due to fear.

petescheu

Yeah it sucks though, you can't use Google Earth on an Apple (which have the best graphics capabilities as it is)... silly Windows, ha.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
Yeah it sucks though, you can't use Google Earth on an Apple (which have the best graphics capabilities as it is)... silly Windows, ha.

This is streaming static images... your Apple shouldn't have any advantage over a PC in that realm.

Damn Apple users....

(Fine, fine, I admit it... I own an iPod)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Lawman said:
Hey, he said it. They were just the messanger. And Im tired of them hiding behind that garb of bullsh!t. The press has to learn to accept the responcibility of thier broadcasts. Just as I cant shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre they shouldn't be on the air doing exactly the same thing. Keeping people informed is intirely differnt from getting rich off the advertising money you make keeping them glued to the TV due to fear.

I completely agree with you, but since when does anyone in the media accept responsibility for their actions? Granted, there probably are a few, and I probably shouldn't make blanket statements. Are they just irresponsible, or do they realize what they're doing and just don't care? God forbid we try to hold them accountable for their actions, though, because we would be 'violating the First Ammendment'.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well the images aren't necessarily current, so even though I could use Google Earth to count the T-45s on the ramp at Meridian, that's where they were a year and a half ago, not now. And if you'll notice, most unpopulated areas don't have very good resolution either.

helo_wifey

nittany03 said:
Well the images aren't necessarily current, so even though I could use Google Earth to count the T-45s on the ramp at Meridian, that's where they were a year and a half ago, not now. And if you'll notice, most unpopulated areas don't have very good resolution either.

If you look up NAS North Island you get the same thing...you can count the helos and planes. It wouldn't matter where the planes are, just if the infrastructure was in the same spot (which it probably would be).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
The fact that these bases don't move the position of their parked aircraft can make it a security threat. Over at Fort Hase Cove at Honolulu, Hawaii, they have their CH-53's parked about 210' from the shore. Even though the pic may be a couple years old, they are probably still being parked their. Even Edwards AFB has quite high res. That base is more locked down than most others.
State the specific nature of the threat.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
The fact that these bases don't move the position of their parked aircraft can make it a security threat. Over at Fort Hase Cove at Honolulu, Hawaii, they have their CH-53's parked about 210' from the shore. Even though the pic may be a couple years old, they are probably still being parked their. Even Edwards AFB has quite high res. That base is more locked down than most others.

:tapedshut
Please, just stop posting and read. This goes for the rest of the threads too. Read, learn, form educated opinions/gain experience, think, post. You've skipped straight to step 5 w/o even considering the first four. That could have something to do with that negative rep of yours.
:banghead_