• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA, OCS qualification.

Tillerm

Hello all, new to this forum, applying for OCS and currently studying for the ASTB. Im fresh out of college with a B.A. in Political Science, and had a long chat with the Officer Recruiter based out of Atlanta today. My GPA is 2.6, which I know isn't very impressive, but I do have extra curricular activities and professional work experience. My question is the GPA issue. The recruiter couldn't seem to let up on letting me know how slim my chances of being qualified for OCS were, due to the fact that I did a wee bit too much drinkin' the first two years of college instead of studying. So Im sure some of the veterans of the airwarriors forum have heard this question before, but will a 2.6 GPA really discredit me as much as the Officer recruiter implied, or was it sort of the initial discouraging "weed-out" process to see if I would cave in? Thanks fellas..

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
In short.... yes. But nothing is certain. Are you finished your degree? If so... have you thought about a masters? It will obviously take alot of work on your part to get a competitive package with that kind of a GPA, but hey, if you want to join the navy, what's a little work?

Also... what was your major? a 2.6 in engineering is a bit different than a 2.6 in poly-sci....

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So Im sure some of the veterans of the airwarriors forum have heard this question before, but will a 2.6 GPA really discredit me as much as the Officer recruiter implied, or was it sort of the initial discouraging "weed-out" process to see if I would cave in? Thanks fellas..

Depending on what you're applying for, a 2.6 is not disqualifying. However, it's not competitve either, so the recruiter isn't trying to weed you out, he just can't sugarcoat it.

I remember seeing those designator info sheets and for Pilot it said the minimum GPA was a 2.0, but that's the bare-ass minimum. It's like a lot of jobs really. When a company is going through a stack of resumes and they see a lot of GPAs in the mid 3.0s and see one in the mid 2.0s, which one are they going to toss out first?

That being said, best of luck, and getting a graduate degree with a good GPA couldn't hurt your chances.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
No matter what, you should apply. I won't say what my sad GPA was, but it was lower than yours, just barely qualifying. Now I am not bragging, because I really, really wish I had brought my GPA up to simpify things and make myself more competative. However, everything worked out and I'm set for OCS in October. I think it's one of those "needs of the service" things you hear about.

If it doesn't work out this time, you can try another class...or another service.

Tillerm

Thanks for the feedback from all of you. I told the recrutier I wasn't planning on being too picky on my career field. I have no interest in becoming a pilot, and would much rather be on land or out at sea. It was interesting though, 2 minutes into my discussion with the recrutier, I told him I had a Bachelors Degree in Political Science, he immediately stopped me and jumped in with a "theres a need for Intelligent Officers with people who have a degree in Political Science." I thought that was interesting, and wouldn't mind taking advantage of it because I'm more interested in getting started than waiting over a year. So, do you guys think it would be wise to follow his advice and look at a career in the Intel. field? Haven't read much on it...Ive heard everything from "I'll be sitting in an office pushing papers for 4 years" to "we can't say anything about the Intelligence field, because its highly classified..." I know I'm drifting into another subject, so hopefully this post won't get moved...

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
What I've heard about Intel is all second-hand, so keep that in mind.

I hear it's one of the most diverse communities around. Yes, you can end up doing the paper/desk/research thing. But, as I hear it, you can end up doing some really cool stuff out in the field, also. Depends, I guess.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I thought that was interesting, and wouldn't mind taking advantage of it because I'm more interested in getting started than waiting over a year. So, do you guys think it would be wise to follow his advice and look at a career in the Intel. field? Haven't read much on it...Ive heard everything from "I'll be sitting in an office pushing papers for 4 years" to "we can't say anything about the Intelligence field, because its highly classified..." I know I'm drifting into another subject, so hopefully this post won't get moved...

You have to ask yourself what you're interested in. If you decide to do intel just because the recruiter suggested it, and you want to get started, you could be in for a long four years if you don't like it. Do some homework on the subject. I took the AMDO designator after some other failed attempts because I wanted to be a Naval Officer. I then proceeded to spend 2.5 long years doing something I didn't enjoy all that much before I was selected for a lateral transfer. Think it through...a little more time spent on this end, could save you some dissatisfaction later.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Oh! I get to chime in :D

First, Intel Officer basic basic requirements can be found at:

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/ojt.htm

Click on General Officer Programs tab at the top.

The Navy OCS site has several people who have recently been selected as an Intel Officer and their stats (click on Selectee Stats link in the left column):

http://www.usnavyocs.com

The official Navy recruiting descriptions of the job can be found at:

http://www.navy.com/careers/officer/intelligence/

As for the question of applying, you will see at Navy OCS that several people with GPAs in the 2.x range have been recently selected, but they had good overall person type packages. You can do a search on there for Intel to see what a competative package looks like and be able to ask questions from Intel types.

As for the job, according to everyone here, the job is to make coffee, buy the donuts, and create training presentations that get chastized for just existing. The real job is more along the lines of being able to do research on subjects the squadron/ship/battlegroup needs and feed them that information in a timely manner.

You should look things over and if you think you fit the bill, begin the application process. The worst they can say is No, and there is no limit to the number of times you can apply (technically). I have a 2.28 undergrad GPA, but I'm hoping my 3.83 Masters GPA will offset it in my recent submission.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Tillerm

Thanks for the Info! All of you have pretty much answered my most basic questions at the moment...im sure I'll have more as I study deeper into the material...if you come across anything else feel free to post or message me.....as for now, grinding out hours studying for the ASTB

BackOrdered

Contributor
Go into the masters program for a term and boost your GPA and apply during the term. Even if they reject you, apply again every term. Your GPA should move up and show the board you are goal oriented. Plus they like persistance.