• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA, OWI, etc.

drury192

I've wanted to get into the Navy for quite a while and think that I have a pretty decent resume with a few exceptions.

1. 24 years old. Graduated w/ 3.5 GPA from a middle tier University. Poltical Science Degree with a history minor (useless).
- I started out with a 2.8 GPA, and then got a 3.85 in the last 4 or 5 semesters once I hit my major classes.

2. ACT score was 24. (Average was 18 or something)

3. Got into a middle tier law school and then dropped out after one semester. Law school grades were 3.07 GPA / top 18% of class. LSAT was in the 49% percentile.

4. Big time athletic backgroud.

Problem is that 5 years ago I got a OWI when I was 19. I also have a noise violation from a party and an underage drinking ticket from college to. So basically I got in some trouble from when I was 19 to 20 years old in college and have gotten into no trouble since then.

Does anyone know how much background (problems with the law) in general has to do with the selection and if I myself would be automatically screwed b/c of those past problems?

Thanks

Big Biff

Got Em
Problem is that 5 years ago I got a OWI when I was 19. I also have a noise violation from a party and an underage drinking ticket from college to. So basically I got in some trouble from when I was 19 to 20 years old in college and have gotten into no trouble since then.

Does anyone know how much background (problems with the law) in general has to do with the selection and if I myself would be automatically screwed b/c of those past problems?

Thanks

Getting a DWI might effect your Secret Clearence which in turn would make you ineligible. You were a minor at the time though. The Clearence goes back 7 years for alcohol related incidents. Nobody is really going to be able to give you a clear answer. I know someone who had a secret clearence with 2 Minor in Possesions 4 years prior. A DWI is a whole different ball game though, but the only way you are going to find out is if you apply.

das

Contributor
Hello from another Madisonian.

As to your questions...time can mitigate nearly any but the worst problems, and if several years have passed, that is a good thing. Most clearance questions go back 7 years (or 10 for SSBI, required for Top Secret), and a lot of things revolve around clearance. The key things they're looking for are:

- Honesty
- A clear recognition of any bad behavior
- A change in course (e.g., steps taken to mitigate the problem) and no subsequent problems

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Let me preface this by saying that I went the Marine way, not the Navy way, but while I was at OCS there were a couple of guys who were waiting for a DUI waiver to go through for their Air Contract. Neither of them got it, one was offered ground (and took it), the other... well he's at home on the couch with Suzie. It was the only trouble they had been in. DUI's are a death sentence now.

The choices you made define who you are and will affect your life. All I can tell you is to apply and see what happens.