• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA/school/hyperglycemia Questions

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Hello,

I have a question about my GPA. I am a physics major, with an overall GPA of 2.97. However, I started school in 2001 as a Music major, hated it, failed two years worth of classes, and was dismissed because my GPA had fallen below a 2.0

Around this time I decided I wanted to major in physics, got a job in a sandwich shop, and saved up for tuition (since I had lost all my scholarships). I pulled my GPA back to around 2.0 through two correspondence courses, got readmitted to the university in 2004, and have made all As ever since. Since being readmitted as a physics major, my GPA has been a 3.97, with a 4.0 in physics classes.

Now, I'm graduating in April and have decided to apply for SNA / SNFO. I was wondering how much liberty I would have on my application to call attention to the redeeming qualities of my record, as opposed to just the 2.97 GPA? Also, would the "overcomes adversity" thing outweigh the "failed at MUSIC" thing?

Also, there is a chance I could be hyperglycemic...I can't find anything in the NAMI physical standards about this, and was wondering if anyone knew if this was grounds to be NPQd, in which case I guess I should get some blood work done ASAP.

Thanks

cwyx

Im going thru the application process for USMC, and i had to get a LOR from the dean of students to ensure that i had never been on academic probation, which means GPA below 2.0...That could be a problem 4 u but that just for USMC not sure about USN.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Man, getting up to 2.97 in Physics is great after your initial adversity. I would look at it as a great thing that you brought it back up and found what you wanted to do. Use that in your essay and you get an additional chance to remind them that you are a star physics student. Ever think about going NUKE? Sorry, I am the Engineering recruiter here and got to get my plug in for Subs.

Regardless of what has happened in the past, go for what you want and let the chips fall. I have noticed that the acceptance rate for those who apply is much higher than for those who do not apply.

BTW, why do you think you are hyperglycemic? A self-diagnosed condition is no condition at all. I am 100% for pure truthfulness on all documents, but barfing up stuff about what you think you might have is no way to go about it. You are on the money with getting checked out, but if you check out with the doc and feel you are good to go and MEPS and NOMI agree, don't go shooting yourself in the foot.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have a buddy waiting for API that told me people who apply have a 10 times better chance of gettin selected than those that do not.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I have a buddy waiting for API that told me people who apply have a 10 times better chance of gettin selected than those that do not.

True that.

I have a buddy in P'cola who says that the wait to class up for those that don't apply is like, forever. They just don't have to take IFS and their gear issue is messed up.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Thanks for the advice...I'm going in to talk to an officer recruiter today, and I'm starting to put things in motion to get a packet out for a (hopefully) January board if there is one.

Oh, and I did the analysis using highly advanced statistical mechanics, and it seems that those who apply are 11.75 times more likely to be selected, so that was a pretty good guess ;)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Oh, right about the hyperglycemic thing.

In 2002 I had some bloodwork done and they said my bloodsugar was above normal. I wasn't eating well or excercising at all and I would be very surprised if this was still the case.

Since I couldn't find anything in the NOMI standards about blood sugar levels, I thought it would be ok, but after reading some things about how hard it can be to get approved for MEPS, I decided to make an appointment to get the bloodwork done.

So, I figured I'd probably have to say something about that blood test in 2002, and in case it was a problem I should have a current document saying, "yeah but everything's ok now."

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Oh, right about the hyperglycemic thing.

In 2002 I had some bloodwork done and they said my bloodsugar was above normal. I wasn't eating well or excercising at all and I would be very surprised if this was still the case.

Since I couldn't find anything in the NOMI standards about blood sugar levels, I thought it would be ok, but after reading some things about how hard it can be to get approved for MEPS, I decided to make an appointment to get the bloodwork done.

So, I figured I'd probably have to say something about that blood test in 2002, and in case it was a problem I should have a current document saying, "yeah but everything's ok now."

You have learned much walking the AW path, Grasshopper.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Ok, So I got all my application materials etc. I have to have 2 LORs come from my previous bosses from the last 3 years, and I'll get a third from either a co-worker at the lab I work at or a professor.

Should I get say, a co-worker AND a professor, or is 4 LORs too much?