• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grace Hopper lecture

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does anyone know what she actually was? By that I mean she was doing ADP stuff, along what would now be IWO, but she's wearing stars. Was she a GURL?

I understand she was a bit of an anomaly for the time, but big Navy was still so restrictive on where they administratively put females, I'm assuming she was put in some designator that made the Navy happy but continued to let her be successful at her actual job/skill set.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know what she actually was? By that I mean she was doing ADP stuff, along what would now be IWO, but she's wearing stars. Was she a GURL?

I understand she was a bit of an anomaly for the time, but big Navy was still so restrictive on where they administratively put females, I'm assuming she was put in some designator that made the Navy happy but continued to let her be successful at her actual job/skill set.

I would assume EDO or the equivalent to it back then. And like Rickover, Congress and civilian leadership made sure she was promoted and kept on active duty well past statutory retirement no matter what Big Navy wanted.