• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grad Work / Delayed Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
I was not picked up for SNA for FY05. My recruiter told me it was a "Reduction in FY05 Pilot Goals" and my letter from the Navy said "...requirements of the Navy...." It is what I want to do for a living, but as Jack Aubrey reminds us, everything is subject to the requirements of the Service. I have competitive stats, and the recruiter told me that if I put in an NFO package right now it would be a darn near shoe in. (for stats see here) However, I have good eyes, and love to fly far more then just being in an aircraft, its what I have always been compelled to do. I am not sure I could sit 3 feet away without going nuts. I did not put in a package with the Corps, though with the recent chatter about them taking some Naval rotorheads, they may have the slots (recruiter said FY05 Navy was 95/95 SNA). I have the same healthy respect and admiration for this branch of the Navy (the pointy end that rides in navy equipment), but dont feel the same as I do for the boys in blue (I would be 3rd gen Naval Officer). Is the bottom line a question of: is harder physical fitness and TBS worth a flight slot? I do, however have the opportunity to use my time before reapplying for several things, and therein lies my questions. I graduate in May 05, but have to make a decision on what I am going to do by October.

1) How early can I put in an application for FY06 or 07, my recruiter mentioned something about waiting 6 months before I can reapply.

2) Through my current job I have the opportunity to get my Masters Degree in Aerospace Eng. from USC. What, if any, impact does having a graduate degree have on your career in the military? Do most career officers end up going through NPS eventually?

3) Enlisting? My old man told me never be a dixie cup, if I want to fly, this doesnt seem to be the best route, but I figure I would pose the question anyhow. Either going through Great Lakes or MCRD SD.

4) Industry? Graduate, go find an entry level job, kill time in the hopes of a pilot slot.

At the moment I am heavily leaning to just settling down at USC for another 2 years and getting my Masters, and reapplying in the mean time. Its only 2 years. But there is a wealth of experience on this board. I figure I can tap it for some opinions, some good imput for this decision.

V/R

USC - Sr.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Getting a Masters sounds like a decent idea. Remember, you can apply for a pilot slot while still in grad school (I think you may even be able to do BDCP, because I guy in my class did BDCP CEC while he was in grad school). Naval Postgrad spots are few and far between (depending on the community) so I wouldn't hold my breath to get one of those. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've heard that getting sent to get a master's during your shore tour as an aviator is pretty tough to do. All the aviation instructors in ROTC were NFOs. I think the Navy tends to try to keep the pilots in the cockpit as much as possible.

When I was at NPS, most of the aviators who were there were TPS Co-op dudes.

But, it never hurts to have a master's degree, especially in something like AE. Even if you end up as an NFO, you can still go to TPS, if that's something you'd be interested in.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
I also see myself in the same boat. I actualy just sent my app. off, and if what you say is true, then i definately can't hold my breath for a spot, and my ASTB scores were lower. I know that I want to do law school, so I too am contimplating doing some of that first. Does anyone know more about getting BDCP during post-grad studies? And also, is the Marine process similar if not exactly the same? I also hear that the Army is in need of officers, as it is badly stretched out. I too need to do something with my time between now and my next application (December), and I want to use that time wisely. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

University of Dallas-SR.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Some answers

Ironfeliks23 said:
I was not picked up for SNA for FY05. My recruiter told
2) Through my current job I have the opportunity to get my Masters Degree in Aerospace Eng. from USC. What, if any, impact does having a graduate degree have on your career in the military? Do most career officers end up going through NPS eventually?
When I was in, the "unwritten rule" is you can't go past major or lieutenant commander if you don't have that master's degree. (I knew one who did, but he was a limited duty officer - different story.)

3) Enlisting? My old man told me never be a dixie cup, if I want to fly, this doesnt seem to be the best route, but I figure I would pose the question anyhow. Either going through Great Lakes or MCRD SD.
Enlistment is not a disease, but your old man is right, you won't fly the aircraft. Either maintain them or be an aircrewmember. It's harder to pick up for OCS if you enlist because you'll be up against other highly qualified sailors or Marines.

At the moment I am heavily leaning to just settling down at USC for another 2 years and getting my Masters, and reapplying in the mean time. Its only 2 years. But there is a wealth of experience on this board. I figure I can tap it for some opinions, some good imput for this decision.
Hey whatever floats your boat. If you get selected before you finish that masters, at least you'll have knocked out some of your classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.