• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ground Squadrons for USMC?

NapalmRat

I read somewhere that the wings for the Marine jets are based from the ground and not from carriers? That they're only qualified to use carriers. Is there any truth to this?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The only Marine Aircraft I've seen on a carrier is the F-18C (single seat). The Prowlers are land based, and I believe harriers (single seat) go on Amphibs (could be wrong on the last one)

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
there is a Marine single seat hornet squadron with most carrier air wings now with tac air integration. as mentioned above USMC prowlers are all land based and harriers may be amphib or land based.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
A USMC Hornet pilot told me at an air show a year ago that all the double seat hornets are land-based and that some of the single seats are carrier based

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Like anything in the military, that can always change, but yes... that is true.

F/A-18Ds still spend a considerable amount of time deployed though.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
True...only carrier based Marine squadrons are FA-18Cs....the Tacair Integration thing will have more going to sea I assume because of trap life...blah blah...many Harriers operate forward deployed from amphibs...but not all. They are usually attached to the amphibs via MEUs and are in detachments or dets of like 6-7 jets. Kind of like the FA-18Ds the Harriers can fly airfields like in Kuwait or Al Asad or wherever they fly from to go in-country. No FA-18D squadrons on carriers in the Marines. Marine Prowlers operate from land only as well.

macattack

So, do the pilots of the D models and Prowlers even carrier qual in those platforms, even though they're landbased?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
macattack said:
So, do the pilots of the D models and Prowlers even carrier qual in those platforms, even though they're landbased?
Only in the RAG.

Brett