• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growler Pilot Career Progression

Jamin'G

pilot
Howdy Ladies and Gents,

I've spent the last seven years or so reading this forum in my quest to earn the coveted Wings of Gold. As ethereal as it once seemed, I've finally winged out of Meridian MS and selected Growlers! Needless to say, I'm elated to finally get a chance to fly a gray jet -- especially the E/A-18G as it was what I was hoping to select.

For the last several hours, I've been reading all the posts on the forum about growlers going back to 2004 or so, and I've got a couple questions I was hoping to get some insight on. In so doing, I may very well test the theory that the only dumb question is the one that's unasked. ;) First off, is my understanding correct that the entire syllabus is now being conducted in Whidbey Island? During our January Weapons det to El Centro, we observed several Growlers present -- I'm assuming they were simply on det as well. I also understand that the syllabus contains both the regular Hornet material (minus Strike) in addition to the electronic attack. Being that as it may, I'm not nieve enough to believe the G will be employed anywhere nearly as aggressively or in the same fashion as a standard VFA asset. The current loadout seems to be pods, drop tanks, HARMS, AIM-120 AMRAAMs, and as of yet unexplored future possiblities. Also, I'm inclined to think that they'll never use this bird to tank like the regular Supers -- is this a sound assumption?

Finally, to the meat and potatoes of what I wanted to ask. I know this is well into the future, and I have often been accused of planning 10 steps ahead -- but it has served me well thus far. What opportunities are available to a single anchor VAQ guy after his first fleet tour (and do you see these changing with the E/A-18G). Obviously you have the VTs and the RAG, but what of such avenues as NSAWC and other opportunities at Fallon. Here at advanced, we haven't heard much on this. Will this primarily be a VFA route?

Any and all insight is much appreciated!

-Jamin'G

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Nice work doing some background work prior to posting. You're questions are refreshingly informed.

1. VAQ-129 is THE G frs and is located at Whidbey. You will go on numerous dets to places like El Centro and Key West, perhaps out and ins to Mt Home as well.
2. Your initial understanding of they syllabus is correct. You'll do Fams, Form, AWI, BFM, and then mix it together into some other phases that begin to introduce AEA specific stuff.
3. The loadout that you mentioned is valid, though specific missions will dictate further.
4. There are no plans to use the G to tank....
5. NSAWC is certainly a possibility for a first shore tour, though I would suspect that there will be a strong push to get you back to 129 since you're still one of the first hand full of true CAT I's to go through. They'll want to keep you around the island, probably.

Good luck and safe travels.

Jamin'G

pilot
@Paddles: Thanks for the detailed information! I can't wait to make it out there and get started. It seems like a really exciting time to be the in community. Now if I can just get this PCS and SERE school out of the way. . . ;) Thanks again!

@DRob: I couldn't agree more -- you do the honors. I knew I heard that again just recently! ha ha

@MIDNJAC: Hey John! Thanks for the welcome. Hope life in sunny southern California is treating you and the wife well -- who am I kidding, it IS San Diego after all! ha ha Heard you just got done with SERE -- is is true that it's just like when we went camping in boy scouts? ;)

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Congratulations on earning your wings. The Growler should be a great platform to fly and learn about how it integrates with the rest of the air wing. You wont be doing much air to air or traditional air to ground as a Growler pilot, butyou will learn basic BFM for defense. NSAWC is definitely a possibility as they always have a cadre of PTIs (Prowler Tactics Instructors) there, but to get that you will need to go through the weapons school. You could also bea weapons school instructor for the Growler and that scchool will eventually move to Fallon with the rest of them. There are other first shore our possibilities as well such as VX-9, test pilot, and exchange, but those are open to all platform backgrounds.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@MIDNJAC: Hey John! Thanks for the welcome. Hope life in sunny southern California is treating you and the wife well -- who am I kidding, it IS San Diego after all! ha ha Heard you just got done with SERE -- is is true that it's just like when we went camping in boy scouts? ;)

Yeah man, I can't complain! Probably won't be flying for quite a while, but having a little time off isn't a bad thing. Haha about SERE, yeah JUST like boy scouts :) Give me a ring when you get out here

Jamin'G

pilot
Paddles and Night Vision: Do you have any additional insight on the PTI guys? From reading Brett's posts, it seems that in the prowler, 8 or 9 out of 10 of these guys have previously been ECMOs. I'm thinking the opportunity for the single anchor side will grow with the introduction of the Grower, correct? From what Paddles said it sounds like they'll have the weapons school in Whidbey now?

Also, another one for Paddles. I've talked with several instructors here at advanced about this, and was wondering if you might have any more insight. From what I've heard, the last boat Growler squadron is now being trained with future squadrons planning to go expeditionary. If I do my first sea tour expeditionary, will this have an impact come department head time with very little boat experience? I've heard VAQ is used to this with the exped prowler guys already inherent in the program, but any additional insight would be great!

John: Damn straight about that down time. We haven't seen all too much of that here in Meridian! ha ha You've relieved all my concerns about SERE. . .I always loved those camping trips, so it should be a good time. ;) Unfortunately we're going to Maine, so I won't be able to hook up with ya this time, but if you're ever in Oak Harbor stop on by!

-Jamin'G

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The last boat Growler squadron...? You're about 180 out. There will be G's on boats and exped. Don't sweat it man. Get here, find a good place to live in ANACORTES, and get on with the business of learning your new jet. You're getting here at a great time of year - it will help you learn that there's more to life than flying airplanes :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You're getting here at a great time of year - it will help you learn that there's more to life than flying airplanes :)

Best time ever to be in the PNW. Period. Dot. :)

Sorry to hear about Maine, kinda strange they did that, though maybe you guys won't get screwed out of almost a month of BAH difference (big $$$ in SD) that way (assuming you aren't doing SERE "en route" like us)

Jamin'G

pilot
I'd heard that the next couple squadrons to transition after the current one were all going to be expeditionary -- musta been bad gouge. About the Northwest in general, you can bet I intend to enjoy it! ;) I intend to soon be scaling Mount Rainier, breaking out the skis when the weather turns cooler, and catching some of these salmon my roommate kept telling me about!

They kinda helped us out with Maine, being that big Navy wanted us to move from here to CA for 20 days or so (with all our partial DITY crap), THEN on to Whidbey. This way we go to Maine and come back here to Meridian before leaving. I've never been to Maine before, and I've heard lots of nice things, so aside from the SERE part it should be nice! ;)