• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growlers At NAS Key West - Local Newspaper Article

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
What a great time to be in the EW community for you guys!

LOL!! Back in my "EW" days, we never got to places like KW. At least not "air crewing" the P4M, P2V, or WV-2Q.

But...gotta admit...we did, on occasion, get some good deals.
icon10.gif

JustAGuy

pilot
Wow, they are flying them with a single tank and one rail? Isn't that horrible training as they are going to be essentially operating as five wets all the time off the boat?

Short

None
You got, it, horrible training. Glad no one ever discussed the configuration issue in the going on two years that the G has lived in Whidbey.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, they are flying them with a single tank and one rail? Isn't that horrible training as they are going to be essentially operating as five wets all the time off the boat?

Yeah, just like it's horrible training flying those slick Rhinos around. How will they ever be able to do a 5-wet tanker around the boat? :rolleyes: The whole point is having the flexibility to have diferent configurations given a particular mission, not being limited by some insane notion that flying in one config makes you worse at flying the other ones.

Brett

JustAGuy

pilot
Yeah, just like it's horrible training flying those slick Rhinos around. How will they ever be able to do a 5-wet tanker around the boat? :rolleyes:

Not sure how it happens so feel free to educate me, but don't most fleet squadrons fly with at least four rails all the time and limit the 5-wet tankers to more experienced pilots? And how often are growlers going to be flying without their pods while on cruise or workups?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure how it happens so feel free to educate me, but don't most fleet squadrons fly with at least four rails all the time and limit the 5-wet tankers to more experienced pilots? And how often are growlers going to be flying without their pods while on cruise or workups?

You're missing the point. The jet should be configured for the mission that it's performing at that time, so on a X-C, you're probably not going to want pods. The Gs are going to be doing some different missions that don't necessarily involve 3 or 4 pods. Tell you what, if you see them doing FCLPs with slick jets, then you can report back and lodge a complaint about negative training.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's funny they didn't mention the "other" Growler squadron that was there....

-ea6bflyr ;)

JustAGuy

pilot
You're missing the point. The jet should be configured for the mission that it's performing at that time, so on a X-C, you're probably not going to want pods.

Ok, I thought the article mentioned that they were training down there. Perfectly understandable if they are just doing a good deal out-and-in to good 'ole Key Weird.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
You got, it, horrible training. Glad no one ever discussed the configuration issue in the going on two years that the G has lived in Whidbey.

JustaGuy, your mistake was to ask a question about the g with showing an appropriate amount of reverence :) Boat specific answer to your question is that the engineers have shown, in a way only engineers can, that flying performance/qualities behind the ship have more to do with overall aircraft GW and less to do with what's on the wing. A single centerline G with lots o' internal fuel at a 48k max trap will see a considerable handling difference from a single center line G with less than lots o' internal fuel. According to the test guys, what is hanging on the wings has much less impact than the overall GW. Engineers use lots of numbers and its hard to refute a number, but its also hard to refute what the dude in the cockpit is feeling on the ball. I have to think that the pretty smart E/F squadron CO's and CAG's out there don't let knew guys fly 5-W's for a reason - other than they don't want their R-Tank screwing it away.

but, hey, what would i know, i'm not really a g guy.....