• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grunt to NFO II: The legend continues!

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
All,
All I have to do is retake my ASTB (I got a 38 OAR) and I might be good-to-go! I have a 3.52 GPA with 96 hours (I can complete my degree by fall 2007) and plenty of combat experience. I'll be 27 in April 2007 so an age waiver might be good and I'm in Germany. Any other things I can submit with my packet when I finish it to give me brownie points to be an NFO? IS PRK OR LASEK (not LASIK) Waiverable?

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
I'm not sure how it works for the Navy, so I'll give you the gouge on Marine aviation (SNA or SNFO). You can not be older than 27.5 at time of commissioning. This can be waived up to (and check this) 29 for prior service guys. PRK is the same as LASEK and it is waiverable, provided your eyes heal correctley (get the paper with all the stat's from your OSO). As far as brownie points, you've got plenty.

And besides, if the Navy gives you s@!t you can always go Marines :D

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
I'm not sure how it works for the Navy, so I'll give you the gouge on Marine aviation (SNA or SNFO). You can not be older than 27.5 at time of commissioning. This can be waived up to (and check this) 29 for prior service guys. PRK is the same as LASEK and it is waiverable, provided your eyes heal correctley (get the paper with all the stat's from your OSO). As far as brownie points, you've got plenty.

And besides, if the Navy gives you s@!t you can always go Marines :D

Great, another dumb grunt service! :D J/K! I had thought about it but I was told I had to ETS from the Army first, not just get a conditional release.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Contact a Navy Officer recruiter; they'll be the ones to give you the most reliable information. Who told you that you would have to "ETS" before applying?

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
Nashville, Tennessee area officer recruiting. I was told I'd have to ETS first, which with a family and all just doesn't work!

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Nashville, Tennessee area officer recruiting. I was told I'd have to ETS first, which with a family and all just doesn't work!

Whoever told you that is too lazy to find out for sure. The easiest thing to do is say no. If the Navy is willing to consider your application with a conditional release from USAR, why wouldn't the Marine Corps?

If you keep taking "no" for an answer, your goal is likely to be very difficult to achieve.

Rednight27

Dust Bunny Supreme
Whoever told you that is too lazy to find out for sure. The easiest thing to do is say no. If the Navy is willing to consider your application with a conditional release from USAR, why wouldn't the Marine Corps?

If you keep taking "no" for an answer, your goal is likely to be very difficult to achieve.

I'm a Navy brat anyways, I should have listened to Dad! I thought I'd be all tough and join Army Infantry, but then maturity hit. I'm just going to get a crapload of Flak about switching services. The path starts in Febuary when I retake my ASTB, then MEPS for the NFO physical if I get a good score, then the PRT (easy!)...then I pull a pearl harbor and put in for the conditional release. All I need is a little more college (96/120 hours done) but that can be done online, the problem is that TA funding runs out at six classes and I need eight, so I'm saving to pay the last two classes out-of-pocket.