• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

H-60 rollover

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Brett327 said:
Interesting. What's the story, RAST issues?

Brett

Yeah - I'm curious too. Was the sea state just crazy at the time?

We need a LAMPS guy to chime in and explain what happened..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's an LSO who should be fired.... Let me watch it again and see what I can see....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I saw this vid a couple of months ago. Interesting that it's taken a while to get out. When I got the email, it said it was a DDG, but it looks like a FFG to me. I don't know who this is or which coast, even, but they're actually performing the straightening evolution. It looks like the probe either jumped out of the trap, which is that gray box under the helo, or the beams that trap the probe were never closed. Hmmm...I'm realizing this is a mishap, albeit one that's probably been closed out.

Let me just say that there are two cables, one on each side of the tail, and that's what's pulling the helo to the side. That's what causing the twisting motion, and is totally normal. Looks like once the probe came out, the cable just pulled it over. You can see what's probably the OIC run out to try and push it over. Looks like things were salvagable, but then the LSO kept twisting, which sent it back over again. Looks like the sea state wasn't really a concern and from what little you can see of the wake, it wasn't the ship turning, which has happened as well. I've had a bird go sliding over to the edge of the deck and hit the stop because the ship decided to turn and not tell me. Of course the CO was blabbing about the "Superstar of the day" over the 1MC, which shutdown our 1JG circuit, so I couldn't tell the guys on deck to chalk and chain. Finally I just gave the hand signal when they looked at me. Scary stuff.

SkylineLaRosa

Bad situation

I see this was posted a while back, but I was looking around for some video of the straightening procedure, and sadly this was the only one I've found so far, so I figured I would throw in my two cents. As far as I can tell, and this is all speculation from the vantage point we're given with this video, the seas did not look overwhelming, but it was a night video and the swell situation was not entirely clear. It seems to me, that this bird landed heavy, probably with a nearly full load of fuel. This makes straightening an H-60 very difficult, as the tail wheel, which is essentially a shopping cart wheel, doesn't rotate as freely. That or the crew didn't follow procedure and unlock the tailwheel prior to beginning the straightening process. I also notice the LSO is going aft with the RSD while making the twisting movment. I can't recall the checklist by heart, but we ALWAYS went forward while twisting to port or starboard. The rast probe always needed to be aft of the bellmouth plug prior to straightening. It's obvious when the rast probe jumps free from the RSD, and the situation is exacerbated by the LSO continuing to twist once it nearly tips. Bad situation all around.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Why do you have to be sitting in the bird during this evolution? The engines are plugged and the rotors obviously disengaged. Is it just to be ready to get on the breaks if need be?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Why do you have to be sitting in the bird during this evolution? The engines are plugged and the rotors obviously disengaged. Is it just to be ready to get on the breaks if need be?

Yep- brake rider (including set/unset the parking brake).

I always thought sitting in the bird for a straightening evolution should have also been part of the OOD U/W PQS...