• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HangarSphere needs your assistance

HangarSphere

I'm a former airline pilot and started my own company called Tango Ten Media LLC specializing in tablet-based publications. The first pub is called HangarSphere and focuses on all things related to the aircraft hangar.

Several times per year, we would like to feature a military air base highlighting their hangars and support structures. We've launched the premier issue of HangarSphere on July 12, 2012 in iTunes and already have readers on six continents (iPad app only). The second issue is coming out in about two weeks and the cover story is the 115th Fighter Wing located at Truax Field in Madison, WI. The public affairs representatives I worked with were great and their photography skills were incredible. I look forward to sharing their story as their 60 year-old structures finally received some needed upgrades.

If any of you could recommend an air base, hangar, facility, etc that has a unique history, recently had upgrades, was recently built, or should just be featured because it is just too awesome not to share, then please send me an email at Lars@hangarsphere.com. Introductions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Lars Jensen, ATP
Founder

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though not a Navy base anymore Moffett Federal Airfield has the unique Hangar One with a long Naval Aviation history. And Hickam Field has a few hangars that still ahve bullet holes from the attack on Peral Harbor.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know if they are still there, but weren't the old Naval Aviation Schools Command swim tanks on the sea wall in Pensacola old sea plane hanagars? Last time I was there I think atleast one had been torn down to make room for a McDonalds.

KBayDog

I don't know if they are still there, but weren't the old Naval Aviation Schools Command swim tanks on the sea wall in Pensacola old sea plane hanagars? Last time I was there I think atleast one had been torn down to make room for a McDonalds.

...which was subsequently torn down by Hurricane Ivan. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might also try Lakehurst/Dix, as it has some good history... and humanity.

Flugelman

Contributor
Usta shoot T&G's at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. There were still some buildings there then (1971) but I don't know what's left there now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Usta shoot T&G's at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. There were still some buildings there then (1971) but I don't know what's left there now.

They're still there. Many of the buildings are either new housing or owned by the SEALs now. There's still some old hangars and the tower is still there, all of which are cool to see. The musuem there is in one of the hangars and they have another building next to...not sure if it's new. The runway isn't open anymore for fixed-wing, but I have dropped some SEALs off in they and paradrop in there all the time.

HangarSphere

Thanks everyone. These are great leads. Ironically, in our next issue due out in about two weeks, our "Hangars In History" section is covering Hangar 1 at Moffett Field. What an amazing facility. I just home the GSA can now figure out what to do with it as the "can has been kicked down the road" into their hands. Google's offer to clean up and refurbish the site has gone unanswered. More in the article.

Thanks again, keep them coming.

Lars Jensen

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I just home the GSA can now figure out what to do with it as the "can has been kicked down the road" into their hands.
Once they realize it could house one hell of a party, they will turn it into the Taj Mahal of hangars.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......Google's offer to clean up and refurbish the site has gone unanswered.....

Not Google but the top executives, and they extract a steep price for that offer. I see value in the offer but I also understand the governement's reluctance to let them use it as a private pad for their jets in return.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not Google but the top executives, and they extract a steep price for that offer. I see value in the offer but I also understand the governement's reluctance to let them use it as a private pad for their jets in return.
My understanding is that legislation does not permit the private use of Moffit and Google is already in hot water for abusing the limited use they have now for scientific/research purposes, or some such thing. I expect that to take Google up on the offer Congress would have to modify the law.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If any of you could recommend an air base, hangar, facility, etc that has a unique history, recently had upgrades, was recently built, or should just be featured because it is just too awesome not to share, then please send me an email at Lars@hangarsphere.com.

An interesting subject for a future feature on the most modern of Naval Air Station hangar facilities, those of the newest & largest Master Jet Base at NAS Lemoore CA. Although it's 50th anniversary was celebrated 1 Iuly last year, it is the last NAS built, and has been continually upgraded & expanded over those years.

I will elaborate in an e-mail shortly.:)
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had better add a caveat to my glowing description of NAS Lemoore above, or all the young bachelor JOPA based in Lemoore Squadrons/FRSs will be after my head.

Operationally, Lemoore is unsurpassed, Socially, it's a great place to live (civilian friendly), and raise a family...BUT... it is not the SanDogg/Jax/Oceana "happy hunting grounds" are, for single Officers and Sailors (or that Alameda & Moffett were back in the day. No place is perfect!:oops:
BzB

HangarSphere

You are correct. The executive's front company is called H211 LLC. Thank you for pointing that out.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are correct. The executive's front company is called H211 LLC. Thank you for pointing that out.
How are the executives of Google, apparently working in concert, not Google? Is H211 LLC the Google flight department that has been spun off for FAA certificate purposes allowing them to hold their aircraft out for charter? That isn't uncommon. Give me a break. It is Google by any other name.