• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has college helped you in your flying/officer career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Currently, I am working on my BA (which should actually be a BS for bullsh*t) and came to a realization in one of my classes. Actually, I've had this thought many times before but after the class I had tonight, it finally has meaning. I have spent more than enough money on a degree that has no meaning. All I have left with after 5 years (forget trying to get a BA in 4 when you have to work full time) is a piece of paper worth $10K that is non-refundable. What I would like to know, since I am putting together a little paper about the subject, is why should military pilots or officers go to college if the degree has nothing to do with their careers (aeronautical engineers excluded)? How does field research on Chicano gangs or knowing the entire list of prepositions transfer into leadership qualities? Why does having that stupid little paper make officers superior to the enlisted?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I think that the college degree encompasses more than just classes. Think of the difference in maturity between a college grad and a highschool grad... Think of how we learn to take care of ourselves and learn to deal on our own. I believe it is not the classes, but the life experience that is valuable.

My mother always tells me that when she went to college, it was to learn to think, not to learn specific items. <She obviously wasn't an engineer>

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Just to preface this.... If there was a way for me to be a naval aviator without doing college, I probably would have done it... that being said (and this is just my opinion)

I was an aerospace eng major. I do not use my degree at all. However, I firmly believe that getting my degree proved to the Navy that I was worth a further investment. Also, I think that the time spent in college was time I needed to mature in order to suceed both as an officer and a SNA. A high school mentallity would not have cut it here. Believe it or not (I didn't at the time) college does teach you about responsibility and self discipline, both are traits you will need in order to suceed in flight training.
Anyway, my .02

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Agree with what bch said. The Navy intends to invest significant time/effort/money on SNAs and taking college grads is one way to filter those who don't have either the drive or capacity to see the program through. I don't mean to imply that college grads are the only ones who possess the right qualities, just that the average grad has a better chance of making it than the average non-grad.

Clux4

Banned
College for me is just learning to properly procastinate and still get the work done when the paper is due in the next 1.5 hours. Meeting new people, learning to get along with people of vast background and lastly increasing my alcohol tolerance.
There is a post on here somewhere that says how big the brain that can fly the JSF be.
Really i think college is more of personally instilling self-patience to stay in school for 4 years. I think this is the one tool to effectively thin-out the crowd.

Even though often times we do not expect an 18 year old PFC to demonstrate the same maturity as a 21 year old Lt. there are Lt's and En's. who still act like kids.

Clux4

Banned
Varmintshooter,
I was going to say the same thing you said, you were just faster in replying.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
When it's said that college grads may possess the ability to take care of themselves and learn about responsibility, what about those people that live at home and have thier parents pay for college. I'm not bashing those that do this, I just wish my parents could afford it. All they would have to worry about is passing the classes so that they could continue to go to school. I've been working full time while trying to maintian a full load of classes (so that I don't get disenrolled in the PLC program) and it's been hell on me. I have the hardest time trying to find classes to take at night, especially now that I have so few and most are upper division. I just don't see any difference in myself now from what I was like in high school. I know I may be the exception, but it just seems like it's such a waste of time.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Once you graduate and are able to step back and look upon your college career, you will see it differently. Just keep charging ahead and putting up with the BS and you'll be wearing those bars in no time.

sonshine

PLC06 Applicant
"When it's said that college grads may possess the ability to take care of themselves and learn about responsibility, what about those people that live at home and have thier parents pay for college."

Ave8tor, Not to jump on your case or anything, but I am one of those people that still live at home with my parents. I have more to worry about then just passing classes. I'm not getting a free ride. THEY aren't paying for college. I am attending a private university and paying for it on my own through scholarships and student loans. I also work on top of taking 18.5 credit hours and other community service stuff. I have plenty of responsibility and know how to take care of myself just fine. All my parents do is give me a roof over my head and food on the table.
I believe it depends on the type of person, whether or not living at home during college will hinder or help them. It depends on their character, ambition, and drive. If a person just wants to ride through life on the coat-tails of their parents then they're never going to be successful. Some people are like that; just not all of us. :icon_wink
I guess, if you wanted to, you could say I'm slacking off and letting my parents help me out. I say, "So what!" :D I'd rather be able to pay off my loans (by myself) and graduate with a little less debt.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ave8tor said:
Currently, I am working on my BA (which should actually be a BS for bullsh*t) and came to a realization in one of my classes. Actually, I've had this thought many times before but after the class I had tonight, it finally has meaning. I have spent more than enough money on a degree that has no meaning. All I have left with after 5 years (forget trying to get a BA in 4 when you have to work full time) is a piece of paper worth $10K that is non-refundable. What I would like to know, since I am putting together a little paper about the subject, is why should military pilots or officers go to college if the degree has nothing to do with their careers (aeronautical engineers excluded)? How does field research on Chicano gangs or knowing the entire list of prepositions transfer into leadership qualities? Why does having that stupid little paper make officers superior to the enlisted?

Um, excuse me, but don't insult us real degree holders who have a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) with your joke ;)

Ok all you history majors, calm down, I was making a joke.

For real though. For one, going to college (hopefully) teaches you how to think at a higher level. It also gives you a chance to grow up. That of course is with varying degrees of success, depending on the person. Bch is right, no way is anyone right out of high school mature enough to handle the level of responsibility of a Naval Officer.

Oh a personal level, while I never use my degree (Electrical Engineering), I'm glad I did it. It's one of the harder degrees to obtain and I think it was a good way to prove to the Navy and myself that I can do what I set myself to. Even if it was a royal pain in the a$$ for 4 years.

Clux4

Banned
Who is the fellow that gave me the bad rep. points. Evidently you do not have a backbone, because if you do you will put your name. What is wrong with my post?
If you really think my post is really stupid why did you not put your name. This is gay.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something not really touched upon is the concept of time management. Being able to balance school, work (if applicable), extra curriculars, and a social life successfully is highy underrated. Not too much of an issue while in the program (Sun-Fri afternoon, fly/study, maybe work out, Fri night-Sun am, booze it up). Once you hit the Fleet you draw on your self-scheduling ability to study/fly/qualify/ground job/wardroom social/booze/party/enjoy your duty station.

peanut3479

pilot
Just remember that lots of people in the "real" world have careers that don't relate in any way to what they studied in college - the military isn't any different. Definitely don't blow off a subject area like math or english simply because it isn't in your major field or you don't think it will apply to being a military officer. Being an Officer of Marines (or Naval Officer, etc.) requires being a well-rounded individual, and a liberal arts degree helps to provide a good foundation for the variety of tasks and assignments you will receive throughout your career.

Personally, I spent a hell of a lot more than $10K on an aviation degree, and it has helped me a lot in flight school - as it should, seeing that I'm still paying for it. Does it make me more likely to succeed in flight school - maybe; does it make me a better flight student, though - absolutely not.

One last thing - the bullsh*t doesn't end with college (it is the military after all) - what do you think TBS stands for (among other things)?

Status
Not open for further replies.