• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HC-4 .50 gun shoot video

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I prefer his other video of an H-53 with a stuck gear. It hovers in one spot while crewman on the ground work the stuck gear into a down and locked position.

Nice hovering in the beast.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I prefer his other video of an H-53 with a stuck gear. It hovers in one spot while crewman on the ground work the stuck gear into a down and locked position.

Nice hovering in the beast.

I was waiting for them to start stacking up pallets to set down on.

Brett

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Just don't try mattresses, like they did with a Harrier here at Cherry Point last fall. Turns out, mattresses CAN get sucked into an intake. Who knew?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The hung gear kit includes a bunch of mattress type padding. Operators just have to make sure they (and the mattresses) don't blow away when under the aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The hung gear kit includes a bunch of mattress type padding. Operators just have to make sure they (and the mattresses) don't blow away when under the aircraft.

Not to get into the minutiae of your PCL, but can you set down on just one main (plus the nose) without hitting the ground with your rotor? Is the preferred configuration for that scenario a 3-up/locked landing?

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd prefer to be all up and locked then having no other options. The risk there would be hitting the tail rotor as the 53 hovers and lands about 5 degrees nose up.

Anytime the gear is not all three down, there is a great possibility of hitting the rotors either trying to keep the helo upright, or when shutting down and rotor RPM starts to decay (and becomes unresponsive to cyclic input).

Fortunately, most gear can be pried down manually.