• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HCS Questions

BRM21o

I know this was just asked in a previous post but I couldn't find a clear answer:

How do you transfer over to an HCS squadron? Are the pilots active duty or reservists? And just out of curiousity, do HCS pilots ever exchange with 160th SOAR or USAF Special Ops squadrons?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I believe HCS is a FTS/Reserve unit. Meaning it is primarily reserve, but it has an active duty component.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
There aren't any exchanges going on with Navy helo guys (only one USMC Cobra exchange), but I saw a Navy and USCG LT assessing a month ago. I have no idea if they made it or not, but we've been taking inter-service transfers on a case-by-case basis.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that as general Army pilots, or more "specialized" pilot slots?

Stearmann4

None
Gator,

That's for the regular Army, you are assessing for direct assignment to the 160th SOAR. This just came about the last 6 months or so. There's been a couple of USMC skid guys with another HS pilot enroute so I hear. If you know anyone who's interested I'll send them in the correct direction.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I know this was just asked in a previous post but I couldn't find a clear answer:

How do you transfer over to an HCS squadron? Are the pilots active duty or reservists? And just out of curiousity, do HCS pilots ever exchange with 160th SOAR or USAF Special Ops squadrons?

I think Marines have a semi-perm billet for exchange pilot with 20th SOS (MH-53J) at Hurlburt. It's a 36 month tour though.

I have heard that the Army 160th does a fair amount of interservice recruiting. Not widely publicized. They look for the right people and and train them up as opposed to just looking for gobs of goggle time. They have thewir own way of flying and they look for personalities that fit - team players, good personality, ability to learn, etc.

Stearmann4

None
Chuck,

You hit the nail exactly. We don't advertise the inter-service recruiting. There's not much need with so many Army pilots to draw from. Total times and NVG hours aren't the sole deciding factor. We place a high value on personality, ability to adapt to stress and changes in a combat environment, and most importantly, a no-fail mentality.