• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hearing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
How do you interpret the hearing requirements on the NAMI website? I was at MEPS today and was just wondering. They said I have good hearing but I am just curious. Also, the NAMI site says something about the average of 3 audiograms required for disqualification. Does that mean they test you 3 times if you do poorly? Sounds like they make it pretty easy. Last, what are those high numbers under the frequency? Mine were like 0s,5s, and 10s today. Just curious.

stevew

most people are 0's 5's and 10's I think, I asked the same question when I was there and they told me that anything below 25 is passing

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Great, the highest I had was one 20 I believe so that is nice to hear that anything below 25 is passing. It also seems that you have to fail 3 times for it to matter. Thanks.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely just speculation here, but I think that the 0,5,10 or whatever are percentages of loss at a specific frequency. That would mean that if you lose more than 25% of you ability to hear a tested frequency then you might be in some trouble. Like I said though, that is just my uneducated guess.

stevew

I think that you can also score in the negatives like -5, -10, -20 etc. I think that the negative scores are better than 0. Don't know how that plays into the whole thing though

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well if you can score in the negatives then my "percentage theory" definitely doesn't work.

jburnes

those 0, 5, 10 whatever numbers are in decibel units..(which can also be negative) and the positive numbers are measured in terms of loss...what the hearing machine does is puts out a certain frequency wave at 0dB and then if you can hear it you hit the button and move on to the next frequency to be tested...if you cant then it bumps the signal up by like 5dB...and if you can hear it, then you are determined to have a 5dB loss in hearing...and the vicious cycle of thinking you are hearing the signal when you really may or may not be continues...its a little more involved than that but you get the idea

on your stereo, however, for those of you that have the ones that read in dB...it's range is "negative-some-number" dB to a maximum of zero. this is because zero is supposedly the level at which the music was recorded...and all number lower than zero are to tell you how much power your cutting off of the amplitude of the signal...

anyway...on with our lives....

Status
Not open for further replies.