• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Heavy Crash at Point Mugu CA

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Standby for the posts...

I know that Tailfin flash, too.

crash.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That's a damned shame. One less 707... Thank God the crew got out safely. I'll be interested to see what caused it.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
So...is the first rule about Omega Air Refueling that you don't talk about Omega Air Refueling?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So...is the first rule about Omega Air Refueling that you don't talk about Omega Air Refueling?
Who said that ... ??? Looks like an abort, to me -- but I know nothing. I don't think it was flying. :)

Does the military (or MUGU in this case) still throw down blankets of foam in cases like this ... ???

81montedriver

pilot
Looking at the airfield diagram, the runway is about 11,000 ft. What kind of CFL are we talking about for a 707 near max TO wgt?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I believe Omega's two (now one?) 7-O's are Boeing 707-320's (stretched) with the original (but upgraded) JT4A series turbojets ... which originally meant their MTOW is probably in the area of 310,000# ...

They have advertised their fuel capacity as @155,000 - 160,000 # ... so if you figure @ 145,000 BOW and @155K +/- FOB -- you're looking at @ 300K +/- TOW ...

They also advertise:
"At maximum landing weight, Omega can land with about 100k of fuel, so unless the flight is very short or has a low planned offload, Omega can usually takeoff with full fuel. On a 10,000 ft. sea level runway, Omega can takeoff with full fuel up to about 85 degrees F ..."

Yesterday's "mean" WX @ MUGU was 56 degrees, with a high of 63 degrees in the afternoon. The winds varied all day in the range of 11-32 KTS from the WNW, altimeter @ 29.81 ...

81montedriver

pilot
According to wikipedia stats, "Runway required at MTOW is 10840 ft." Woud this mean that this distance was the CFL or that by the time the airplane hit Vr, that they were 10840 ft down the rwy?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Makes me think of the couple of rides I had out of Meridian in a C-9. Both heavily loaded, warm days, and (all of us being familiar with the airfield), watched in amazement and then mild panic as the LSO shack flew by the window.....then the long field gear.....then the 1 board.....then all we saw was trees as the thing crept into the air. I'm guessing those heavy types pretty much have to gnat's ass their numbers, though Mugu's runway is not short by any means.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Makes me think of the couple of rides I had out of Meridian in a C-9. Both heavily loaded, warm days, and (all of us being familiar with the airfield), watched in amazement and then mild panic as the LSO shack flew by the window.....then the long field gear.....then the 1 board.....then all we saw was trees as the thing crept into the air. I'm guessing those heavy types pretty much have to gnat's ass their numbers, though Mugu's runway is not short by any means.

We experienced the same exact thing. What I couldn't figure out was how they were going to get it out of njk loaded like that with the long runway closed for the summer. I didn't stick around to find out.